• Become a Premium Member today!

Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Why become a Premium Member?

• Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts.
    • Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

Become a Premium Member today and experience HomebuiltAirplanes.com to the fullest!

Upgrade Now

Original Sonerai II tail wheel spring and fork assembly

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does any one have a picture of the original Sonerai II tail wheel spring and fork set up. I recently purchased a project that’s going to need a caster wheel (fork and bolt are there but no wheel). I’m not sure if the tail wheel set up is what was called for or if the builder or previous owner modified. I would like to get a look at one to confirm. Thanks.

Does any one have a picture of the original Sonerai II tail wheel spring and fork set up. I recently purchased a project that’s going to need a caster wheel (fork and bolt are there but no wheel). I’m not sure if the tail wheel set up is what was called for or if the builder or previous owner modified. I would like to get a look at one to confirm. Thanks.
I have one but it's at the airport. Basically a generic 4in shopping cart looking wheel .

I have one but it's at the airport. Basically a generic 4in shopping cart looking wheel .
Thanks Chopndrag. Maybe if you get a chance you could post a picture of it in the near future. I am going to do the the same with the set up thats on the plane to see if any one recognizes what it might be but I won’t be home until Sunday so I can’t do anything until then.

I couldn't tell you where to honestly get one it's a mystery to me but I can get the measurements. I'm going to weld up a new tailwheel fork that takes the 4 inch tailwheel that aircraft spruce sells to just make it easy.

About the time the Sonerai was developed, some homebuilders were using escalator wheels for tailwheel. They were plentiful, and cheap, especially if you knew someone who worked on escalators.

BJC

About the time the Sonerai was developed, some homebuilders were using escalator wheels for tailwheel. They were plentiful, and cheap, especially if you knew someone who worked on escalators.

BJC
Yup and now to find the same wheel twice is a chore. I ordered one a couple months ago from McMaster and it looked like mine but blue. Well when it showed up it was shaped like a Rollerblade wheel .... fantastic. So that's why I'm going to weld up the new assembly for the wheel asc sells and know I can keep getting the same one.

BJC
I thought the original was a snowmobile track type wheel? Since john was in wisconsin i imagine those sort of things would have been plentiful and cheap

Reactions: BJC
Here's the original tail wheel set up on 994SP. I believe it was pretty much per plans. As you can see its a rigid link steering and not a full swivel tailwheel assembly. The tail spring was replaced once because I broke the threaded knuckle by not securing it properly in the truck when I hauled it from Texas to Washington. After that, this setup lasted another 300hrs or so until the forks on the tailwheel assembly were found to be starting to crack during a condition inspection.

42974372982_0cbcccac41_c.jpg

I replace it with an API tapered tail spring (that had to be turned down on a lathe and then cut to length), and API single fork tailwheel assembly with milder of the 2 rake angles offered (can't remember the degrees). I opted for the Maule type compression springs instead of the rigid link steering. It seemed to me that the geometry of the new setup did not favor the rigid link.

I have about 200 hrs on this new setup and a really like it better than the old one.

51156092762_c5057a3f3c_c.jpg

The tailwheel replacement can be found here: Sonex Tailwheel 4 X 1-1/2 with 1-1/2 Hub Length | Aircraft Spruce

Last edited:
Hey guys thanks for the info. The 1st picture from N804RV does look similar to what I have. When I get back home Sunday I will post a couple pictures of it to see if it rings a bell with anyone .

Looking closer at N804RV's picture and just going from my best recollection I'm going to say that is a deadringer for the setup I have with the exception mine is rigged with chains instead of the the solid linkage.

Pretty sure that's to big for the cast tailwheel assembly for the sonerai . 4in was the largest and 1.5in is to wide.
I did not like that "cast" tailwheel thing. I bought one and never put it on. The original plans calls for a builder produced welded steel caster and forks. That's what came on 994SP when I bought it. I actually had to shim up the axle bolt with the original Sonex style tailwheel with a couple of washers in order to capture the axle so that the wheel spun on the bearings and not the bolt.

When mine cracked, I decided to to adapt an off-the-shelf replacement that was easier to replace. Once the tail spring was turned down and cut to length, I can find any number of tailwheel assemblies that are suitable for a 4" tailwheel.

I did not like that "cast" tailwheel thing. I bought one and never put it on. The original plans calls for a builder produced welded steel caster and forks. That's what came on 994SP when I bought it. I actually had to shim up the axle bolt with the original Sonex style tailwheel with a couple of washers in order to capture the axle so that the wheel spun on the bearings and not the bolt.

When mine cracked, I decided to to adapt an off-the-shelf replacement that was easier to replace. Once the tail spring was turned down and cut to length, I can find any number of tailwheel assemblies that are suitable for a 4" tailwheel.
Exactly why I am welding one up to fit the acs experimental 4in tailwheel they sell. That way I get the same one everytime. Right I am on a hunt for another replacement after the one I ordered from McMaster is more like a Rollerblade wheel.

Exactly why I am welding one up to fit the acs experimental 4in tailwheel they sell. That way I get the same one everytime. Right I am on a hunt for another replacement after the one I ordered from McMaster is more like a Rollerblade wheel.
I had one of those for awhile. It looked cool. But, it only lasted for less than 50 landings, then it was toast!

Thanks again N804RV. Yeah the cast fork thing looks pretty chintzy which is why I wondered if it was what was called for in the plans or just something some one put on it. Having the same problem with having to shim the wheel also. I will most likely take your earlier suggestions regarding a solution. Thanks.

Thanks again N804RV. Yeah the cast fork thing looks pretty chintzy which is why I wondered if it was what was called for in the plans or just something some one put on it. Having the same problem with having to shim the wheel also. I will most likely take your earlier suggestions regarding a solution. Thanks.
It's the original design holds up really well for me but finding the right wheel combo consistently is a pain.

Back