• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Oil Air Separator???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeBuilt101

I have an IO-540 that is oozing oil through the vent. I know of oil air separators and the reason for this post is that I vaguely remember hearing (reading) a horror story where a guy in an experimental airplane had one fail and it caused the engine to quit. Because my memory on this is muddy at best I do not remember why the oil/air separator failed and how it cased the engine to quit....

I thought I would ask you the Cyber Oracle to see if anyone on this forum has heard of this story...AND...if so...what were the details?

What is a good make and model of separator that would accommodate the venting needs of the IO-540?

Any help/suggestions is greatly appreciated!!!

Back