new Guy with high hopes and questions

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

greywuuf

Well i guess I am new here, I have been posting sporadically for a few days now and I have a question or two. First, Can a 1/4 scale proof of concept RC model be a build? ( as in a build log with pictures) and if so does anyone even care to see it? and So far I only have one step done, so not a lot to take pictures of, but soon.

I am building a half scale model of my planned Gyro copter so that I can play with the landing gear placement and mast angles and things. My UL composite gyro is itself going to be a 1/2 scale WWI Albatros fuselage, thus my model will be 1/4 scale ( well kind of)

I am a seriously Cheap &*^%@#^ so I tend to make a lot of my own tools and do things the hard way. For instance the fuselage will be Vacuum infused in a mold I will pull from my own hand carved plug ( not to unusual) but my vacuum pump is a salvaged upright freezer compressor and my resin break tank is a garage sale pressure cooker. it works as I have done some parts for my "other hobby" snowmobiles... also the source of the engine for my proposed full size unit. the 1/4 scale is getting a 46cc chainsaw motor that i converted myself.

well if there is any interest I will be back later
Thanks
Dan

greywuuf

template in the picture is 6' long
5172581422_3fa605ff96_z.jpg

Yeah I know, nice purse........ it happens when I bring my projects in on the dining room table ;)

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well i guess I am new here, I have been posting sporadically for a few days now and I have a question or two. First, Can a 1/4 scale proof of concept RC model be a build? ( as in a build log with pictures) and if so does anyone even care to see it? and So far I only have one step done, so not a lot to take pictures of, but soon...

We always want to see what you're doing. That's why all of us are here. :) We finally pried a few vague photos of Billski's airplane out of him after, what, years? ;)

You can learn a lot from building an accurate scale model. Not enough to build a safe full-sized aircraft, but I think that no experience you can give yourself with your design is wasted time. You still have to do the math and run the numbers in the end, though. A model is no substitute for that.

greywuuf

Thank you for the comments and yes I am hanging on to This wife, a few months ago I built a skin on frame Kayak in the living room, not only was it allowed she wants one for her now.. something about Sea kayaking in Valdez this summer.

Also, I don't intend or expect real number or any definitive answers from this, I may be just a helo wrench but my father was an engineer and I have enough Calculus behind me that I am well aware a direct scale up is not the answer.

My biggest goals for this are twofold (and maybe more ) but this will be the largest area I have even infused and I hope to refine my skills and learn a great deal from that alone, also it allows me to experiment with general affects of various cores and is substantially LESS materials wasted in each attempt than a full sized fuselage ( plus its a heck of a lot more rewarding than just doing flat panels for testing )

Secondly there has been a seemingly never ending debate over on the rotarywing forum about tail dragging Gyro's. the only common example is the pitbull and it is a mixed bag of user comments ranging from "the gear is crap and it will kill you"
to it just needs a swivel or locking tailwheel and it would be fine.

I grew up around Alaska Bush planes and have high speed wheel landed tail draggers. I have been around a ground loop or two. The physics of a gyro are differant the center of resistance ( drag) will be higher and farther back, but I don't believe that All conventional gear are going to nasty tempered beasts on the ground. I really want to try moving the cg/gear/mast relationship around and see what I can do about finaly having a UL tractor gyro in the classic style. I may never get there, I may be reinventing the wheel. I have studied and calculated about all I can absorb. I have some idea's and I want to see what happens if ...... and honestly half size ( about 1/4 volume and materials ) and old chainsaw motors and master air screw props are a WHOLE lot cheaper than my Fuji and a warp drive (yeah I said Fuji.. aka old school Polaris I cross country raced sleds AGAINST Rotax for too long to switch sides now and fly BEHIND one ;-) I long ago discovered than engines cant read, and that the physics and engineering are not affected by the name cast into the cylinder head I have 30 + years experience ( plus tools parts and jigs for machine work etc ) to abandon my sled motors just yet. look for some spectacular failures, I tend to be the bad example for everyone to learn from.

thanks again
Dan

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
...Also, I don't intend or expect real number or any definitive answers from this, I may be just a helo wrench but my father was an engineer and I have enough Calculus behind me that I am well aware a direct scale up is not the answer....

Sounds like a very good project, then. Like I said, I believe that no time spent on your design is wasted. I didn't mean to imply otherwise about your skills and intent. We really have had more than one person come on here and seem to think that all they need to do is build a model or test their ideas in X-Plane and that'll be enough.

Looking forward to seeing your project progress!! :)

greywuuf

I didn't mean to imply otherwise about your skills and intent.

I did not take it that way, I just realized that I have been a little Vague with my expectations on this project and what my background really was.

now if my truck had not decided it was a good time to blow an axle seal, I would have more to show, as it is I get to play mechanic again this weekend oh yeah and the wife said something about wood floors in the bedroom.. So fix the truck to haul the carpet... Dang I need to retire so I have time for my "hobbies"

Dan

greywuuf

ugh, no progress did a lot of thinking, but I have fresh paint on all the walls and ceiling of my bedroom, along with new wood flooring. Guess I have to keep the book keeper happy if I am going to have any chance of this.

greywuuf

Been almost a year since I posted anything here, and almost that long since I did anything with this project. Built some guns, did some hunting standard yard work house repairs all the Alaska Summer stuff. Seems like as good a time as any to dust off this thing and get to it. The little fact that a Co -worker has gotten himself a LSA ragwing trike has kinda got the bug going again as well. Looking forward to some weekends !