New 280 HP Diesel from Austro

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

TFF

Diamond really pins its future on diesel. I hope they fix the Thieler design problems with this one; too many ADs to make it owner easy. A Diamond diesel was at my airport last week; very interesting sound. Looked like a twin motor glider taking off; no rocket ship but graceful.

autoreply

Just to clarify it:

Diamond is the aircraft manufacturer (Super dimona, Katana, DA20,40,42,50, D-jet). Thielert certified a modded Mercedes-diesel and Diamond put those in their aircraft, first the 1.7, later the 2.0. They had major problems with the gearboxes, Thielert burst and many owners were pissed.
Thielert Centurion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Austro, a wholly different company "evolved" the original Thielert in a more powerful engine, the AE300 and claim it's much better, but the future'll (dis)prove that. Austro is owned (right?) by Diamond and a long-time engine manufacturer, notably by their Wankels.
Austro Engine E4 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's great to see some more promising (compared to the "day-dreamers") Diesels show up on stage. Continental is seriously working on the SMA diesel who has proven to be up to real-life use:
Continental TD-300 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What I really like about the Austro is it's water-cooling. No more ridiculous rich-running engines, nor the cooling nightmares.

TFF

I know it is not the same but the same. Obtaining assets from the dead Thielert was the only way Diamond was going to survive. They should be proud that they are trying.