• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

My hat is off to any hpa team that got a laminar airfoil.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumanPoweredDesigner

When a weight is hung in the middle of a cloths line, the tension is way higher than the weight, unless the deflection is high.

For the same reason, the lift acting on stretchy mylar between ribs would make the mylar bow a bit if it is 0.001" thick. If it is only attached to ribs, the deformation of the airfoil would probably still be aerodynamic. But if it is attached to half spars or spanwise members such as kevlar thread or spars, the deflection pattern would be very non-aerodynamic (just my guess).

Even if you have plywood in front, and then only mylar behind that, I would expect bowing at the transition area. So unless you change the rib shape so that the bowed pattern is the good shap, I don't know how half ribs could be used.

Fortunately, I bought the Daedalus team book. Hopefully they discuss this issue in detail. I may know some things that they overlooked, but if I win this prize, I can't take most of the credit, since I'll be getting a lot of thought food from previous designs.

For now, I don't know how I'll get around using extra ribs. My design is far from done.

Back