• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Micro sub70 alike Pterodactyl or IcarusV whith canard

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antoniv

Hi friends

As you already know, in Europe the category of Microlights sub70kg is in fashion.
In other words, you can fly in an unregulated way with any flyin-aparatus that weighs less than 70kg (155lb) in takeoff order.

70 kg are very few but is already a reality whit the pendulars minitrikes.
1 (2)(6).jpg

Something more complicated for those of us who prefer to fly with a stick. For now only the Butterfly is a true sub70 with stick control.

Sub70 Butterfly youtube chanel

Now I explain my idea:

Why not join a hang glider wing whith sterer rudders + trike whith paramotor engine + canard in the front?

In fact, this was the path that was traveled to reach the Pterodactyl.

El primer Pterodactyl nacio de la unión de una

The first Pterodactyl was born from the union of a Fledge hang glider with a motorized trike. I still kept control of the pitch by moving the center of gravity and steering with the stick.

Getting control of the 2 axes by stick was enough with adding a canard on the bow

NASM-A19800372000cp02.jpg

How to build something like this at home without reinventing the wheel?

First option:

Rescue a Pterodactyl Ascender and try to reduce its weight, through a new much lighter engine and a new fabric.​
The great handicap of this option is that it is difficult for me to sew a new sail. The Ptero has a single surfaced wing with rib pockets.​

Second option:

Find the plans for a rigid hang glider with rudders and add the motor and canard to it. I rule out the latter.​
At the moment, I only know of the existence of the plans of what was the mother of all rigid hang gliders, the Icarus V.​
the Icarus V has the double advantage that its covering is made with heat-retractable fabric and not with sewn dracon. Using Oratex could reduce the 29 kilos that the original IcarusV weighs.​

poweredicarusvgrnov78.jpg

Questions:

Do you know of other rigid wings suitable for the project?​
Do you think IcarusV can work?​
I listen to your opinions with pleasure​

Back