mercruiser 470

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

slociviccoupe

hello, after rebuilding one of these for a customers airboat would make a realy nice airplane engine.
Its half of a ford 460 big block. stock form has aluminum block and iron head but any aftermarket head for a 460 big block ford will fit.
so lots of aftermarket support. also it was used as engines for midget race cars and has a centrifugal water pump driven off the timing gear, and has a stator type alternator directly behind the crank pulley.
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q272/thoriated/random/mercruiser224.jpg
and here is the page with a lot of info.
The elusive 224/3.7 MerCruiser banger - THE H.A.M.B.

oh and to make it even better it has a chevy bolt pattern. with a good aluminum head, good intake manifold, and good exhaust its one potent combination and direct drive was enough to push a 3 seat airboat to run on dry ground. Would be realy good candidate for aircraft use because of no belts to drive water pump or alternator.

MACOWA

HBA Supporter
Hello, sloiviccoup. Oh My ! I have one of these in a 19' Glassply, and have been repairing boats in the Puget sound area for a couple of decades. My first thought after getting it running was to speculate about putting a 428/429 cobra jet head on it. An appropriate after market high performance head on this could really make it howl. The block ,is unique in that it seems to be The Merc' 2 stroke big banger with a cam gallery cast into it. Very light, very strong and very good at heat transfer, and being a marine engine was designed for an 80/90% duty cycle (it spins a prop too) They have not been popular here because the alternator is not up to supporting the electrical demands of a serious rough water fishing boat, and access to it requires removal from the boat and a motor tear down. Mine has been converted to use a large Delco alternator driven off the front pully. All others that I have encountered here are the same. You have rebuilt one. I suspect that pistons, rods and flywheel are also big Ford. Bearings ? still many questions.

TFF

There once was a snippet in Hot Rod magazine where they went through a potential combo intended for a retro T bucket. Long time ago. Late 80s-90s.

I've got one of these short blocks, I picked up at a swap meet because it was for sale for scrap metal prices. a guy local to me used to run one turbocharged in a 1st gen RX7 drag car. They have been run in NHRA comp eliminator in the past, they are known to shake pretty badly at high RPM. A modern lightweight rotating assembly would probably help. The crankshaft is really, really heavy. The reality is that you would probably make more power with a 2.3 ecoboost and weigh a lot less. There have been a couple of revisions on the water pump, over the production run, due to issues.

Protech Racing

Big 4 cyl would need to be direct drive and low compression IMHO , just like the conventional air engines.
This to tolerate the crank speed variation . It will break many redrives with high compression and shake the crap out of stuff. Dove made race parts for Midget and boat racing. many moons ago.
The little buick/rover V8 is nice and smooth enough for a redrive without too many complications.

Flyguyeddy

HBA Supporter
I dont believe the olds has a redrive as found on the tailwind. I have not seen the plans for it tho so i may be wrong

Dan Thomas

They have not been popular here because the alternator is not up to supporting the electrical demands of a serious rough water fishing boat, and access to it requires removal from the boat and a motor tear down. Mine has been converted to use a large Delco alternator driven off the front pully. All others that I have encountered here are the same.
Those marine engine alternators are typically just permanent-magnet affairs that use special regulators to do something magic to the multiphase output. You're limited to a few amps with that, and they drain a bit more horsepower because some of the current is wasted in the regulation. Much better off with a field-regulated automotive alternator.