• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Material substition

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nik.kruhmin

I'm plotting out my build of my Sonerai I wings. The plans spec 2024-t3 alclad for everything. I'd like to use 6061-t6, for cost, weight savings and corrosion resistance. I'd like to avoid any coatings, which I believe I can get away with using 6061 and being in SoCal. It does have a 11% lower tensile yield stress however...

Now there's been a few iterations of the internal wing design as applied to the II and IILS versions of the Sonerai, which originally just had longer I wings. The spar mods were done initially to increase the strength of the II and IILS. These mods are often applied to the I for an even larger safety factor. On the II the spar mod bumped the g rating to 150% of the amended value. Is my thinking that applying this using 6061-t6 would net a spar that is 130% stronger before failure than the original flawed? Am I making it too simple? How critical are the ribs and skin? Their thicknesses throughout the Sonerai evolution seem to have been more driven by manufacturability than anything else.

Back