• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Material grades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StRaNgEdAyS

So, it looks like I have decided to build in metal.
(Starting with a scale test model I'll do in alloy sheet as well for practice :gig:)
Am I restricted to using only the designated aircraft alloy or can I use differing grades for different applications?
For examle, one type of alloy sheet (graded for aircraft) is avaliable in 2 different hardnesess so it can be used on both the skeleton and the skin. If however I was to use the stiffer aircraft alloy for the structural components and a lighter grade for the skins, would that be accetable?
I have heard of people doing this, but was curious as to how sound the practice was.
I'll have to make 13 body ribs for this first part, These, as well as the spar, some 10 foil ribs, longerons etc. I gather should be made from the aircraft alloy at least?
709x-f16fs3b_fuselage_dim_1_.jpg

Back