Looking for Basic Med Dr in Los Angeles/San Fernando Area

Discussion in 'General Experimental Aviation Questions' started by addicted2climbing, May 28, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. May 28, 2019 #1

addicted2climbing

addicted2climbing

addicted2climbing

At my last medical I ended up with a Special issuance 3rd Class medical Due to buying a dental mouth device for Snoring and having a sleep study done where I came back with what should have been a low enough number for the FAA not to care. My Dr and the examiner both said it was at the bottom of the grey area and I should have been let through, but luck was not on my side. I am 47 years old and quite healthy and not looking to skirt the rules. The fact is I don't have OSA and I don't get recurring sleep studies regularly and don't have an APAP to submit my scoresheets either. Just a passive mouthpiece and a sleep study from a few years ago.

I am now thinking I may as well go with Basic Med. I have looked at the pros and cons and the only issue that may suck is I wont be able to fly in an overseas location. My wife and I visit France often and I cant really see it as an issue as I don't speak well enough to talk on the radio in French and I know a fair amount o friends who fly there already that could just take me for a ride anyhow. Also chances are if I do fly in France it would be in a Sailplane or Paraglider anyhow and no medical needed at least not in the USA.

My current family medical Dr is not all that into signing me off as he is unfamiliar with the process and has never done it. Rather than push him to be the first, anyone have a recommendation for a Dr in my area. I live in Burbank CA. MY medical is due to expire end of July.

Open to any and all suggestions.

Marc

2. May 28, 2019 #2

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Dr. Ed Shore, Vanowen at Van Nuys bl.

3. May 29, 2019 #3

addicted2climbing

addicted2climbing

addicted2climbing

That's who I use to see... Since he is a popper FAA examiner he likely will be at odds with the Basic Med. The guy I saw last time was very much at odds with the whole thing and I can understand why. Yet in my case I feel I got a raw deal in many respects as my family doctor included a note to the FAA when they asked more questions saying I don't have OSA and only got the mouthpiece to help with snoring. My AHI numbers were a 10 which is on the cusp of normal/grey area with the FAA per people I spoke to over the phone at the FAA medical dept.

4. May 29, 2019 #4

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Yes but Doc Shore is old school and he was actually very helpful with me on something in the same area as your issue. So if you inform him that you got a raw deal or somebody crossed their wires, and that the reason you are coming to him is specifically to resolve the raw deal, he may be able to help. If he cannot help then go to someone else.

5. May 29, 2019 #5

TFF

TFF

TFF

Not LA. The last medical I got I had to do the sleep study and I just barely failed and the FAA review signed me off for the full two years instead of yearly like special issue normally is. I need to get some clarification and will not go back to the doc who pushed it. I let mine lapse wanting to do basic med and I have not been able to get anyone to do it. Flight surgeons are pissed and regular drs are being persuaded to not do it by malpractice scare. If you have a good old fashioned friend dr they might sign it. All the drs I know with medicals are not even signing them unless it’s in the family. That’s four I can count right now and three are married to drs. The two I tried to convince outside of that never said no but they never said yes.