• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

looking for a good kit highwing/bushplane

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The joy of flying

i have been looking around the market to find a high wing aircraft/ bush plane that would fit my needs. I wont really need short take off and landing and the ability to land on rough ground, but it would be a nice feature though. I would be using the plane for weekend flying and long distance trips. Some things that would be very import for me to have is a fuel usage of 5 gals an hour or under, to have a good sized cargo are that can hold a decent amount of stuff for a trip and 100 lb min, and also side by side seating so you can have a pilot on either side of the plane and lastly not made out of fabric and tubing. Some things that would be helpful to me would be fordable or removable wings and an additional 3 or 4 seat.But if thats not possible its ok.

some of the planes that i have been looking is the Murphy rebel. It can have a 3 seat and removable wings, decent cargo area and 4 gallon fuel burn with a small engine. One of the biggest downside for is the wings take 45 to one hour to remove plus draining the fuel. A thing that doesn't bother me that much but i wish that the 3 seat would face forward instead of side ways.

Another plane that i was looking at is the glasair sports man and their new merline lsa. I like that the sports man has folding wing and rear seats and a high speed. I under stand t has a 8 gal fuel burn. I have yet to find out what the fuel burn is going at 110 miles instead of 160. In you guys have any info on the merline that would be great because no info is posted on their website.

Back