Latex on a Micro Mong

Discussion in 'Finishing Techniques' started by Little Scrapper, Dec 3, 2018.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Dec 3, 2018 #1

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I found this accidentally when I searched for a video on sanding latex paint for a cabinet idea I have. Was kinda shocked to see this. There's multiple videos.

[video=youtube_share;ZbYbxblrDRo]https://youtu.be/ZbYbxblrDRo[/video]

mcrae0104 likes this.
  2. Dec 3, 2018 #2

dcstrng

dcstrng

dcstrng

Yep, he’s also redoing a Cougar – and half that polishing he does is only so it emulates Imron or something – if one actually wants a fabric plane to look like a traditional fabric plane, apparently the “finishing” labor is a lot less… Discovered him from the Pietenpol guys, some of whom also use the latex from the Home Depot, Lowes or Walmart aviation sections…

3. Dec 3, 2018 #3

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

I'm planning to be looking down at the BigBox heathens from the lofty heights of the Sherwin Williams aviation department.

Seriously though, their 'vinylsafe' paint looks worth trying in my camo scheme. It doesn't get as hot as regular paint in sunlight.

4. Dec 3, 2018 #4

Pops

Pops

Pops

Friend of mine painted his Challenger 2 with latex paint from Home Depot then topped it with latex clear coat. Very nice if you like the glass look.

5. Dec 9, 2018 #5

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

Back at my home strip not too long ago a guy did a homebuilt high wing Piper in latex and after the first flight half the paint was missing. Turns out the process is as important as the top coat.

6. Jun 12, 2019 #6

John wadman

John wadman

John wadman

Latex won’t stick to previously painted surfaces well especially if painted over glossy oil based paints. The surface prep would have to be done correctly. I’ve painted new Dacron with latex primer, using a 1/4” mohair high quality roller with enough pressure to force the primer through the weave. Then light sanded the tape and patch edges with 220 and the rest with 400. Then top coated with a HVLP gun and compressed air using Hi gloss latex paint and had great success. It’s not as glossy as aircraft coatings but is a lot cheaper and not cancer producing to spray. Looks like linen aircraft fabric from the golden era. After 6 months a light coat of Armour All makes it look wet!