• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Initial Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlknolla

So I have spent some time going through the forum, files, galleries and such - man what a resource.

But I have some practical questions that I haven't been able to fully address with search and aimless wandering so I want to ask some questions here - some might be dumb so I apologize in advance. Fact/experience preferred, opinion welcome if identified as such.

For background, my mission definition - 1+1 seater (80-90% solo but would be nice for pancake fly-ins/$100 hamburger runs), Fun Flyer/Stress Reliever and entry level IAC competition mount (Primary/Sportsman - some negative G but no snaps - I can fly the Sportsman routine at no more than 4 to 4.5G in an Extra 300L so thinking a light and well-built SIIL should be fine). I hold COMM/ASEL w/Instrument privileges, ~380 TT in 33 make/models - limited tailwheel time (mostly 10-12 hrs Extra 300L, planning to get transition in Champ). I am 6' 2", 200 lbs, 34" inseam, Wifey and Daughter are both about 5' 8" and 120-140 depending on season.

My current thinking - SIIL with big bore Type 1, looking for about 80hp - electric start (due to aerobatics) - only engine mod would be inverted oil (waiting on approval to join Affordable Air Racing site for this info) - thinking AeroInjector or RevInjector with regulated pump for negative G fuel delivery and possibly adding a small 2 gallon acro/header tank under main tank with flop tube - I am leaning towards project vs. flying plane at this time due to cost.

I really see the Sonerai as the winged equivalent of a motorcycle, fun 2-up on limited occasions but really more fun solo - not truly practical (but I can rent practical airplanes all day long, just like I can rent a Camry to travel - looking for something fun to own). Put another way, I can drive my Grand Cherokee up the twisties to get into the mountains if I need to carry a tent and my family, but if I just want to go relieve some tension, I jump on my SuperMagna and groove up the mountain - not as practical but way more fun.

1 - Seems like a built-tested 2180/2276 VW conversion for an SIIL is about $7K from GP or Revmaster, what would it run to build one up from parts - I have not really been able to find piece parts info from GP/Revmaster and something about the AeroVee doesn't sit right with me (not sure what it is) - what are recommendations for DIY books/sites to build a reliable 80hp mill?

2 - Prop options - I totally understand the RPM/thrust issues, and the weight/KISS issue, am curious if there are any legitimate CS/IFA props for the VW's? Looked at Ivo and Warp Drive, saw the Aussie supplier Robin Austin used on his 912 SIIL (seems dead now) - any help here? I would prefer a slower turning/more torque engine with a bigger diameter prop for acceleration/low speed thrust purposes, but this is in no way a hard requirement, the planes are clearly fine with the current prop selections - just require speed management on downlines.

3 - Front vs rear drive - seems to me rear-drive is best low-cost/low-weight solution, but adds engine mount and possible cowling issues - any experience here?

4 - Is there a good reference on the loads/structural analysis (if any) that John used to set the 750/755 lb Acro limit? I know the story on various wing mods which makes it look to be a wing limitation but would like to know more about it.

Anything else based on the above questions is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

JLKnolla,

Welcome!

It sounds like you need some convincing but only you can reach the conclusion to buy or build an S2. On your fun factor mission to relieve 'stress' - perfect - on your aerobatics intentions and questions of design 'stress' - don't exceed them.

On size, consider the raised turtle deck and modified vertical stabilizer.

That's about all the advise I can provide to your email. I bought a restoration project with a raised turtle deck and have since added a new GP BB engine, however, beyond that its all personal preference - oil filter or not, oil cooler type, carb, intake and exhaust systems etc etc

Your heigh concerns me. You NEED to get a low wing sonerai AND a raised turtle deck to feel anyway comfortable. I am 5'7" and with my mid wing regular turtle deck sonerai my headset band bumps the canopy, also its hard to move your legs when the main spar is right over your knees.

Back