• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Inflatable tips

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Culleningus

Hi.
Ive been looking at the Bumble Bee, I think the worlds smallest aircraft:

bumblebee_takeoff.jpg

It would seem easy to hitch an aircraft onto the towhook of a small car and tow it in reverse on the road.

If I were to add 4 wingtips (semi symetrical aerofoil profile) that were inflated to extend the span say a yard in each case using either ram pressure or a compressor driven by the motor, I envisage getting from road tow to airborne in a couple of minutes.

However please can someone advise:
1)how much the increase in wingspan (using inflated tips) on this rearward staggered biplane will affect the pitch stability without a proportionate increase in the area of the tailplane/fin (thus moving cg rearward)?
2)how much extra lift might the existing design derive from the 'lifting' body? or can a small alteration to the shape improve matters?(aka hyperbipe?)
3)whether a telescoping tubular spar within the inflated tips is sufficient to carry the necessary loads IF the aircraft was then destined to fly considerably slower than this purely 'one use' experiment.

Dave

PS I know the visibility is crap, but the Ultalight Hiperbipe uses clear panels in the fusalage which seem to work.

Back