• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Hummel Bird Ramblings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDub

I've been obsessing about getting my Cassutt into the shop to do what "I think" I need to do to get it ready to race. It's a fun sport plane, for sure, but it's a bucket list thing for me to race. I could race it now, but I want to tinker with the ideas I have, and that takes time in the shop.

I would like to keep the Cassutt flying it as-is while I complete another airplane. It would be something I could run-about in, maybe go somewhere from time to time. I don't need a two-seater. Something not so time consuming. Almost all of my flying is done solo. If someone wants to go with me, I rent.

I was really looking at the V-Witt because the midget racer types hold a place close to my heart. I would be all in, if it weren't for the extension. I'm no machinist and I don't want an extension that would cost me more than the engine. With that said, if anyone knows any machinist that'll make it for something reasonable, I'm all ears. I will fly behind a full VW with that extension with confidence.

With that said, and going back to the title of the thread, the Hummel Bird and I have a history. Kind of a sad story, but I think I'm going to give it another go-with the Verner 3 cylinder. The engine will most likely be more than the plane, but even with that, it'll still be in the neighborhood of a Sonerai 2. Way cool and way fun! Even if I'm not the first to think of this, I think it's a viable cost effective, reliable, and safe way to get in the air.

Jerry

Back