• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Howdy Folks !

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Kelly

I have just finished rebuilding my Bumble Bee Gyrocopter
I am wondering if there are any GyroCopter Nuts on here as well.

My Gyrocopter is no longer Stock... infact it is highly modified from
the original plans.... after my first taxie test i had to do something
to make it safe ! it was prone to tip over,with super touchie steering
a very bad combonation !
After reading everything i could find on the problems of Gyrocopters
I came up with a design that worked... it was stable on the ground
and actually steered good.... its the old time tail Dragger configeration !
... the reason... it doesn't want to flop over when you turn....
infact i have actually Spun-Out on the runway twice ! ( the last time i wasn't so lucky and it did flop over on its side )
with the Improved handleing on the ground i set out to cure any PIO...
(a large portion of gyrocopter accidents )
I installed a new Horizonal Stabilizer, almost 3 times the size of the original one, and increased the size of the vertical Stablizer and Rudder as well.

Changed the main Keel tube to accomidate the new stresses and such
and added a bycycle hand brake to the stearable tail wheel.
i lowered the engine a full 6" to get the pilot more in the thrust line
Turned arround the gear reduction box on the 447 Rotax engine to alow this.... in effect moveing the prop up 4"

All in all its a Cute little machine !
Last time out i was contuneing my taxieing practice and it handled buitifully on the ground FINALLY !
Its taken two and a half years to get her to this stage.
I figure if you can't steer it on the ground how the heck are you gunn'a get into the Air ?... an aircraft Has to handle Reasonably well on the ground and in the Air... it seams some designs don't handle on the ground at all ! so beware !

Sense there are no Gyrocopter instructers that I can find within 500miles i am slowly teaching myself... I don't like the idea,
but what else can i do ? any sujestions ?

Bob....

Back