• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

How to Setup Turbo Controller

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeBuilt101

I have a Lycoming TIO-540 in an airplane that I bought. The engine has a single turbo charger compressor however it does not have an intercooler (I will install on at some point) and the boost is currently set to 42 inches MAP during takeoff. Since the pistons are 7.3 to 1 compression ratio the Equivalent Compression Ratio comes out to 12.7:1 so with 100 LL I guess that is OK however it seems a bit too high.

Considering that the engine is not intercooled I want to reduce the boost at takeoff power to something more realistic.

Naturally I could just manually limit the MAP using the throttle however the engine would not benefit from the automatic mechanical linkage mixture enrichening that the Bendix fuel injector will add when the throttle linkage is pushed to the takeoff range.

The airplane has a AirResearch 470688-9007 controller, Bendix RSA-10ED1, and a AirResearch Valve A70908 9011

Does anyone know how to set the boost level on this turbo system?

I have Googled this equipment and cannot seem to find any instruction manuals. Does anyone have any they can share???

THANKS!!!

Back