How to paint checkerboard ?

Discussion in 'Finishing Techniques' started by Mr Mono, Jul 16, 2008.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jul 16, 2008 #1

Mr Mono

Mr Mono

Mr Mono

Anyone got a "tip" or a "how to" on painting checkerboard on aircraft parts?

2. Jul 16, 2008 #2

Craig

Craig

Craig

Mr. Mono, the only way I have figured out how to do it is to paint everything the lighter of the two colors, then mask off all the areas that you want to remain that color, and spray on the darker color.
    I did one for some racing friends - sprayed on a good coat of white, masked it off, then sprayed the remaining squares with black. Came out pretty good. Just be sure that your squares are really square, otherwise it will look nasty.
    Bigger squares are easier. I tried 2" squares, what a PITA. The 4" squares were much easier.

3. Jul 16, 2008 #3

Mr Mono

Mr Mono

Mr Mono

I wonder if you could get a sign making shop to cut a vinyl pattern, like a decal, and peel off the squares you want to shoot paint through.
    Stick the whole thing on and remove the squares you want?

4. Jul 17, 2008 #4

JMillar

JMillar

JMillar

The way to do it, as far as I know... is cut your template so it has 1/2 the squares - in other words, make vertical and horizontal stripes of alternating blank-masked-blank-masked.

Then you paste that on, spray it, remove it - move it one square diagonally, and do the rest. That way you have a mask that is all one piece so that it holds together. Sucks to have to spray twice, but ah well.

In the attached picture, black is masked.

Attached Files:

• mask.GIF
      mask.GIF
      File size:
      2.8 KB
      Views:
  5. Jul 21, 2008 #5

expedition2166

expedition2166

expedition2166

we've done the vinyl / sticker shop method several times and have had great luck except for once it was cheap vinyl and you could tell it when we were applying it and it bled through a little in several places but to answer your question if your local vinyl shop has good grade sticker material yeah it will work and depending how well you paint it'll look professional light coats work best for sharp lines

6. Mar 9, 2009 #6

n55rc

n55rc

n55rc

I recently used a fine line tape grid to paint a checker board pattern on the bottom wing of my Skybolt. Using the 1/16th inch 3m fine line tape, layout the pattern. Cover alternating squares with precut construction paper by taping the edges. The precut squares should be slightly smaller than the grid squares. Spay the open squares. Remove mask and sit back and enjoy. Total time was about 4 hours.

Attached Files:

7. Mar 11, 2009 #7

wally

wally

wally

Hey a good idea. I was thinking of putting some checkerboard on my Pitts. I will probably practice a bit first but that looks like a good way to do it.
    Thanks!
    Wally