• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Help with Flange Transfer Technique

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
I need some help on how much tape of what type to use for flange transfer.

I am making composite wings with cored skins made in female molds, spars, and ribs. I am using the flange transfer technique as laid out in the Lancair manuals. Everything is all set with the jigs, the cores removed where the micro will go, and three layers of package tape on the skin. I am ready to pile micro on things and put the skin in place.

Then I started to think. Technique as I have read it is three layers of packing tape, fill the edges of the ribs and light spars with micro, clean it all up, remove all but one layer of tape, from the skins, and put glass tapes on the packing tape, and put the skins in place to transfer the flanges... Is three layers of packing tape the right amount? Is the thin common packing tape the right stuff for this job? I know that it releases great, but it seems too thin to do the job correctly with two plies to stand in for glass and one ply to leave room for adhesive. Any advice from people who have done this before?

Billski

Back