• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Help me chose a plane :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Diddykong

Hi all,

Firstly let me apologise for the thread title spelling mistake.

I'm Peter and new to the Forum. I am currently working towards gaining my PPL here in the UK and am looking at building a kit aircraft over the next year. This will be the largest project that I have undertaken.

It would be great if some guys and girls on here would be able to give me advice as to which kit plane best fits my needs, so I'll go right ahead and let you know what I'm ideally looking for.

1) Total budget (including engine and avionics) of £12,000 (around $20,000).
2) Must be a kit. No scratch building from plans. Preferably have a Quick Build option.
3) It must be relatively cheap to run/insure/maintain.

There the main criteria that I'm looking for. What I really want to use the plane for is to build my hours up and have some general flying fun over the next couple of years. It terms of design I like bi-planes and am not too fussy.

I have selected a few that I have found that fit the three points listed above and was hoping for any feedback about those choices. One down side to the ones I have found so far is the speed and lack of aerobatic capabilities. I was really hoping for a cruise speed over 100mph and a top speed atleast around 130/140mph.

Being in the UK there is no law as too what type of light aircraft I can fly.

So here are the links to the aircraft I have so far found below, any feedback and suggestions of your own would be greatly apprieciated.

There are three aircraft from Fisher flying:-

FP-303 - FP-303
Avenger - Avenger
FP-404 (bi-plane) - FP-404

The fisher aircraft look cheap and cheap to maintain, however I'm just abit worried about there speed being so low.

The JDT Mini-Max planes also look cheap and easy to maintain, but again they might be abit slow - JDT Mini-MAX -- Light Sport Aircraft and Ultralight Flight Aviation Kit Building and Flying

And finally my favorite the SD-1 minisport - SPACEK s.r.o.

It's top end of my budget at £13000 with engine, however it has abit more speed and looks great.

Thanks for reading,

Diddykong

Last edited by a moderator:
Back