Hello from NZ!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by RCBinChicken, May 20, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. May 21, 2019 #21

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

RCBC remember that the Sandlin GOAT series is a monoplane with reduced parts count, easier assembly, AND higher performance compared to the BUG. So it may be close enough to what you want already. Floyd Fronius equipped a GOAT with swing-out electric motors that really looked like a clever solution for self-launch gliding.

2. May 21, 2019 #22

RCBinChicken

RCBinChicken

RCBinChicken

Heck yeah! I've got Bloops 1 through 4 on my PC at present and working my way through them whenever I have a quiet moment. :D I suspect I'd better look through his other ones too...

3. May 21, 2019 #23

RCBinChicken

RCBinChicken

RCBinChicken

Brilliant, thanks for the tip - I'd only looked at the Bloop plans so far, I'll start reading through the Goat asap.

4. May 21, 2019 #24

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

You'll be glad you looked at the Goat

5. May 21, 2019 #25

BJC

BJC

BJC

There are some of us who respect Rutan’s knowledge and abilities, but don’t admire his designs.

BJC

6. May 21, 2019 #26

RCBinChicken

RCBinChicken

RCBinChicken

Ah. Apologies, seems I overly generalized.

7. May 21, 2019 #27

BJC

BJC

BJC

It seems that most people agree with your comment; they admire Rutan’s designs
    Probably some nit-picking here, by me.

Note that I did include Burt in my Hall of Fame list https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/threads/eab-hall-of-fame-designers.20245/ for his impact on homebuilding.

Several others there, too, whose designs had positive impacts on the world of homebuilding, but are designs that I do not admire.

BJC

8. May 21, 2019 #28

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Sounds like we will have an interesting topic for discussion at the OSH'19 HBA gathering.

9. May 21, 2019 #29

PagoBay

PagoBay

PagoBay

Mark Beierle from Earthstar, a small boutique factory in California, has an all metal electric single seat that is Ultralight compliant. He uses Zero Motorcycle battery systems. Mark is a good resource for electric implementation.

See here..

Mark's wing has one of the best lift coefficients you can find. Worth looking at if you are into that side of things.

I owned the two seat Odyssey model for a while. The wing was the heavy duty model and made wing on and off way too difficult. Not like you see in the above video at all.

Mark explains the cost / payback factor of $1 per hour electric versus $20 per hour with petrol. Flight time is short. Engine reliability and fuss factor compared to the HKS 700E is long.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  10. May 21, 2019 #30

RCBinChicken

RCBinChicken

RCBinChicken

Awesome, I'll look into that one. Yes, that's what appealed to me so much about electric - the low maintenance/hassle factor and flight hour cost. Short flights - and a high initial investment for batteries - seemed a small price to pay for most of what I want out of my aircraft. :)

11. May 22, 2019 #31

Dana

Dana

Dana

With the short flight time of electric, unless it's something like a self launching sailplane where motor is just a means to get altitude, you may eventually find it limiting. Like paramotors... they're a blast to fly, but your rarely go more than a few miles from the point of takeoff. If you find you want to expand your horizons the limited range might start to intrude.

12. May 22, 2019 #32

RCBinChicken

RCBinChicken

RCBinChicken

You're likely correct - while I currently feel like a short-hop fun-flyer would be more than enough, that may well change once the disease really takes hold. :p

That said, I think I may be able to hedge my bets a little - I'm planning to design the rear of the craft in such a way that it could one day have a (small) gas engine fitted instead of the electric power system, if I get a yearning for 3-hour flights etc. Because I'm planning to carry a sizeable pile of batteries in the electric version anyway, there would be little to no net weight increase. CG-wise, I'd planned to have the batteries a little rearward, as my (electric) motor would be too light in pusher config to balance pilot weight up front all by itself.

(If I did go that route, I don't think I'd be running anything bigger than a Moster 185, so performance would be similar. For anything faster/gruntier, I'd go clean slate, as this is a bit of a point-design bird I think.)

13. May 23, 2019 #33

PagoBay

PagoBay

PagoBay

Another two good sources for implementation of electric power are Chip Erwin and Brian Carpenter.

Chip at .. https://aeromarine-lsa.com/zigolo-mg/

Brian at .. https://electricmotorglider.com/emg-6/

Chip's electric Zigolo UL may not be in production but he is very knowledgeable.

Brian's EMG-6 is a DIY plans built and all plans are open source. As a motor glider, the EMG-6 may match Dana's suggestion just above.

RMM