• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Harley XL engine?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nik.kruhmin

Has anyone heard of converting the XL sportster/Buell engine to aviation use? I think it could fill the same niche as a half VW. I've seen the big twins done. Only difference I see would be having to cut the primary and transmission case off, but while those are a shared casting with the crankcase, they're separate oil reservoirs so it would be less trouble than hacking up a vdub.

Air cooled, torque-y, a variety of cylinders with different bores and materials, different strokes, heads, cams, hydraulic lifters, choice of carb or fuel injection... I'd think it wouldn't be too hard to build a low rpm relative torque monster that would be very reliable.

Care would have to be taken in the mounting arraignment though... especially if using an early solid mount...

Thoughts?

Back