Quantcast

Greetings!

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

vhhjr

HBA Supporter
The nose gear is a problem because it retracts with the wheel directly under the pilots seat. One possible fix would be to rotate the wheel 90 degrees so it stowed flat. I will have a 50% cockpit mockup done soon and that will answer some questions. How to get in and out of the cockpit is one concern, especially the passenger. Initially, I'm looking at separate pilot and passenger side hinged canopies. The passenger canopy glazing could be reflective to try to keep a scale look. The engines would have to be shut down whenever anyone was getting in or out of the airplane. This does make emergency egress a problem.

I looked at smaller scales, but anything less than 50% was going to be single place and anything less than 45% was going to require "fattening" the cockpit for me to get in comfortably. I made the mistake of going too small with the 55% ME-262 cockpit. It was way too tight to work. A better scale for that one would have been 65%.

I don't know if this project is going anywhere past the mockup, but I do enjoy making them. So far I have a 75% P-39 and a 55% ME-262 hanging from the ceiling of my hangar. There's space left for a 50% B-25.

Vince Homer

vhhjr

HBA Supporter
The B-25 cockpit mockup is coming along I expect to have it photo ready in a week or so. I had to rotate the nose wheel when it retracted as it comes up directly under the pilots seat. When turned flat it fits very nicely. A photo of the skeleton is attached.

Vince Homer

Attachments