Greetings from the Western Mountains of North Carolina.

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

MDHazelden

15995180_124810704525f5941_7121694736993738494_o.jpg
Picture for my inspiration.

I'm an A&P with fabric covering experience and have a serious bug to build an Anderson Kingfisher. There are some wonderful lakes around that are just begging to be explored. I don't yet have the plans for the Kingfisher and I'm trying to locate one that I can see. The lines and the simplicity really call to me.

Anyway, I'm happy to be here and I learn something every time I visit. Thanks for having me and give me a shout if you know of an Anderson Kingfisher that I can visit.

Mark
Murphy, NC

Last edited:

tspear

Mark,

Welcome to HBA. My wife and I hope to visit a few NC mountain lakes next summer.
Which lakes are you looking to explore?

Tim

Derswede

You do have some great lakes in that area....I wander thru on occasion and hit the Rib place there....good eats. There was recently a Macchi seaplane (maybe Ebay?) that popped up, needed an engine rebuild. It was near the Charlotte area. Maybe an alternative if you can't find what you need.

Derswede

MDHazelden

Tim, There are so many lakes in our area. Here is a listing.

Fontana 10,230 ac 236 miles of shoreline
Blue Ridge 3,290 ac with 65 miles of shoreline
Nottely 4,180 ac with 106 miles of shoreline
Nantahala 1,605 ac 30 miles of shoreline
Hiwassee 6,280 ac 162.5 miles shoreline, 22 miles long
Chatuge 7,150 acres
Santeelah 2,850 acres
Apalachian 1,000 acres

akwrencher

HBA Supporter
Nice pic! And welcome to HBA. Not sure on the kingfisher, but a member here could probably hook you up with plans for similer vj-22 if you can't find what you are looking for.

tspear

Tim, There are so many lakes in our area. Here is a listing.

Fontana 10,230 ac 236 miles of shoreline
Blue Ridge 3,290 ac with 65 miles of shoreline
Nottely 4,180 ac with 106 miles of shoreline
Nantahala 1,605 ac 30 miles of shoreline
Hiwassee 6,280 ac 162.5 miles shoreline, 22 miles long
Chatuge 7,150 acres
Santeelah 2,850 acres
Apalachian 1,000 acres
I have heard of a few of them, and visited a couple a long time ago. Looks like it will be fun to research and pick some good locations to visit.

Tim

pictsidhe

My wife and I have some land a few miles south of Santeetlah Lake. We're planning to build a house there when we can.
Is Andrews airport 103 friendly?

Last edited:

MDHazelden

My wife and I have some land a few miles south of Santeetlah Lake. We're planning to build a house there when we can.
Is Andrews airport 103 friendly?
I worked at the airport for a couple of years and never saw an ultralight land, and I don't know of any on the field. On the other hand, you could take a whole afternoon nap on the runway and not be bothered. There isn't a tower, so I'd say no one would care and they might be interested in learning more.

There is a great EAA friendly airport in Copper Hill, TN 1A3 It is at the TN/NC line.

Derswede

There is an airport just in Tn (a couple of miles out from Murphy...look for the airport sign) which may be the one you mention, MD Haselden. It is a nice place, tho the times I have wandered by no one was around. Think it had an old bent Beech 18 sitting by the hangers. Will be that way in a week or so, will stop by and try to give a report. Will ask about PT 103 birds. Nice to see lots of NC types here! Rib Country is my favorite restaurant in the area.

Derswede