• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Green hydrogen, fireproofing envelopes, and aerostatic lift for long-range/duration VTOL operations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneCub

Hello everyone,

I'm not particularly active on this site (and it's something I should certainly correct after all these years), but I'm very keen to know if there are other enthusiasts on the thread topics (I saw this thread on hydrogen, so I'm getting up to speed on that, and I don't have to tread on trod-upon territory). I've been examining the Aeroscraft, Airlander, and Lockheed lighter-than-air designs, and have been curious about the capacity of a secondary ballast envelope to be customarily inflatable with helium to provide altitude controlling lift and reduce the flammability of any leakage from hydrogen to be used in the primary lift envelope within.
I'm not a certified engineer, so I'd absolutely love to discuss this topic with those that are. I am, however, doing what amounts to a PhD. in hard sci-fi looking at near-future climate solutions across Oceania, and sustainable aviation is something I've worked on for a number of national-level decarbonization policies/plans in the Pacific. A decarbonized aviation future for the planet is going to require a redesign of our propulsion and lift systems, and I'd very much like to explore some of the more ingenious options available, but I know I cannot do it alone. If anyone is keen on discussing further, please let me know.

We can do it, internet.

Back