• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Getting the feel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Airskip.2010

I live in Houston, and my plane is at Wisener Field (3F9) in Mineola, Texas (NE Texas). Far enough away I can't just throw a sleeping bag in the truck on any given day and go spend the night with her. ;D

I have the hours, but need to take written, practical and some dual, then sign-off to receive my LSA license.

I am going nuts to know what my plane will feel like on the taxi-way, runway and in the air. I am not far from being ready to taxi, which I am not worried about.

Is there anyone within a reasonable distance from Houston that would be willing to take me for a hop in their Sonerai II or IIL (or similar) so I can get an idea what I have to look forward to. I will gladly help out with the expense of this flight.

Comment here, send me a message or heck, call me at 713-562-8840 if you have an idea.

Thanks,
Skip ;)

No. I have 8.5 hrs dual G.A., split between a 150, 152, 172, and Citabria; less than 1.5 hrs dual in ultralight to solo; around 25 to 30 hours with my father in 140, 150, and Citabria (mostly Citabria); about 250 hrs in my tailwheel CGS Hawk. Most recent time was with my cousin (private) in the '65 Citabria my Dad left to me when he passed a year ago in 3 days. Probably about 6 hours.
Whew. License, no. I bought the Hawk back in 91 which was after the initial 8.5 hrs dual. Once I had the Hawk, I didn't have to pay anyone, anymore.

Long way to answer your question when a simple "no" would have done, huh?

Skip

so you flew the hawk as an ultralight. I really like the sports ticket myself, and I can fly about anything I want to fly. though you do have to be checked out in each different type.

Yeah, Dave, I bought the Hawk and had all those hours in it before Sport was created. Now there was the Recreational, but I didn't like the 50 mile radius thing. When LSA was a theory and the FAA Review Board were thinking it thru, Dad was trying to get the Citabria accepted into LSA, which still confuses me. It was 200 lbs heavy and a heckuva lot slower and I am pretty sure more forgiving than some of the true LSAs out there.

Yes, that was foreign money, such as germany, Italy, even chezch that got that to happen. The European model planes that are now being shipped over as light sport are their airplanes just an adjustment on paper for the light sport rule. By keeping the weight down those planes can be brought over but the cessnas, pipers, and a few others couldnt be listed under the light sport rule, for they would have been bought up in a flash, destroying the theoretical base for the new planes being shipped over. A man would pay 20,000 for a cessna, piper or something along those lines long before he would pay 100k for new import light sports.

Dave

dayflyer47 said:
Yes, that was foreign money, such as germany, Italy, even chezch that got that to happen. The European model planes that are now being shipped over as light sport are their airplanes just an adjustment on paper for the light sport rule. By keeping the weight down those planes can be brought over but the cessnas, pipers, and a few others couldnt be listed under the light sport rule, for they would have been bought up in a flash, destroying the theoretical base for the new planes being shipped over. A man would pay 20,000 for a cessna, piper or something along those lines long before he would pay 100k for new import light sports.

Dave
I had not heard that before...but interesting. Note the AvWeb article on the our Home Page....Piper *dumped* Czech PiperSport LSA over *business philosophies*. ;)

2 1/2 hrs for me from KELK Elk City Oklahoma. Not out of the question give me a call at 405-343-4463.
Casey

did you ever get with Jeff about flying your plane I saw where he said he could do it. I hadn't heard anything, but good luck.\

Dave

N788T said:
2 1/2 hrs for me from KELK Elk City Oklahoma. Not out of the question give me a call at 405-343-4463.
Casey

Thanks, Casey. I almost called you right after I saw your post because I found a hanger south of Houston at Bailes Field in Angleton, TX, and was going up to Mineola TX (3F9 to pick up my plane this weekend. That would have been a lot closer for you, but it would have been kind of late notice and I had a lot to do in 2 days cleaning out the hanger, etc, etc. I may could drive North sometime.

I really can't wait to go up in one. What do you have, Casey; II, L, LT LS, or LST?

I have a sonerai 2 midwing. with the 2180 engine.

Attachments

• 788t.JPG
    788t.JPG
    172.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 788T cockpit.JPG
    788T cockpit.JPG
    222.6 KB · Views: 65
Good looking plane, Casey. Still waiting for a spot so that I can take the wings off transport mode and start doing the things I need to do to get flight ready. I was told I could get a good yacht for 35 bucks at O'Rely. Well, not in Houston, that I could find. Like the 2 motorcycle battery idea. Comparable weight to a lawnmower batt, but 2, 12 V batts. Good idea.
Shirt sleeve and short weather in Feb. How cool (or warm) is that?
Skip

Skip

I would love to have you come visit the Magnolia Arkansas Fly In. You are only about 5 hours drive from there. If you have something to fly you could fly there in less time or find a fellow pilot. The dates are April 29 and 30th. I really hope to see a bunch of guys there. Should be a lot of slow flayers there and Gyros. We won't be having our beloved Sonerai flying there a lot other than coming in, static displays and departures. We will be having lunch and a dinner on Saturday night. There will be a bomb drop, Landing competition, and furtherest flown fly in award. The weather during this time should be great. The aviation discussion is unbelievable and the camaraderie is next to none.

I would love to look at your plane also. I have gone looking for that little safety latch you have but no luck so far. I'll keep looking.

Airskip.2010 said:
I was told I could get a good yacht for 35 bucks at O'Rely.

I just noticed this. I meant tach. Geez, what was I th(dr)inkin? LOL!!

Skip

I've sailed, water skiid, bass boat fished, deep sea fished, ferried, ocean linered, Rain gutter regata'd..........Ain nuttn like flyin.

AirSkip

Back