Getting ready to start Cri-Cri; need shopping advice

Discussion in 'General Experimental Aviation Questions' started by josephdfco, Mar 15, 2018.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Mar 15, 2018 #1

josephdfco

josephdfco

josephdfco

Hi again! I'm getting ready to build the very first part of my airplane, the horizontal stabilizer, and I want to order just enough materials (well, maybe some leftovers for other parts) and tools to get the job done. I'm enclosing the first section of the builder's manual that deals with this section, as well as the plan for that part (with a list of the French equivalents of the materials. I was hoping that some of you could take a look at these and help me compile some shopping lists. I've found most of the raw materials at Aircraft Spruce, and as far as tools, I've been referred to a few specialty shops, as well as EBay and Craigslist, for those, but I'm wondering what tools you would think would be essential, and where you would look for the best deals? So far, I came up with a list of materials that I was able to interpret and convert to English units from the drawing:

3/4 x 3/4 x 1/16 0.109 (length and quantity) (I can’t read what he wrote on the print; looks like 1500 x 10 x something, then v 1.2, then quantity 2[SUP]5[/SUP] ? so I’m guessing two 5-foot pieces of 3/4x3/4x1/16 0.109” ?________
    ________
    ·[FONT=&quot] 2024T3 billet, 222695542879 (I was told this is what I would need to CNC-machine some of the more intricate fixtures)_______[/FONT]
    ·[FONT=&quot] 0.016 2024T3 skin sheet(it looks like the print calls for one 5’ x 3’ sheet?____________[/FONT]
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    ·[FONT=&quot] Divinycel_(it looks like one sheet of 1/4" x 32 x 48 would be more than enough for the front and rear ribs, but the center calls for two 10 x 2 x 0.5" pieces, so I'm wondering if I could double-up the 1/4" pieces, or maybe I should just spend the $58 and get the 5/8" (they don't have 1/2") for those, and use the extra towards the wings and other pieces?)___[/FONT]
    ·[FONT=&quot] nutplates which #8 with SS AN526C-832R8 (what part number is this on the print?) (again, this is a reference from the recommendations from another Cri-Cri builder)______[/FONT]
    ·[FONT=&quot] Rivets (I can probably figure out the sizes, but quantities might be harder to estimate)___[/FONT]
    ·[FONT=&quot] Bearings. Where do you recommend getting those? What about 30716 and 30715?[/FONT]
    s
    I can't figure out 30706 and 30703. What shape 2024T3 do I get for these? 30706 looks like a U-channel, but I'm not sure.

He mentioned jigs. I know I'll need to make forms for the metal ribs, and templates for the Divinycel ribs, but what else?

My hope is to keep the shopping lists down as close to ordering only what's needed for the stabilizer (of course, there will be some overflow to be applied to other parts of the plane, especially tools), because I need to assure my wife that building a little at a time isn't entirely cost-prohibitive, especially on the first order.
    Thank you all for your help! View attachment 307.pdf View attachment CriCri Part 2 - Special Operations.pdf View attachment CriCri Part 1 - General Operations.pdf

2. Mar 15, 2018 #2

MikePousson

MikePousson

MikePousson

3. Mar 16, 2018 #3

MadRocketScientist

MadRocketScientist

MadRocketScientist

Canterbury, New Zealand, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy.
    Hi Joseph,

For the elevator caps, 307 02, 2 x 5ft of the 3/4" x 3/4" x 1/16" 2024 angle will do the trick, for some reason the 3/4" wide angle is cheaper than the 1/2". It needs to be cut to shape anyway so no problem with the larger section.

The center rear elevator ribs are just two 6mm pieces glued together, makes it easier as only one thickness of diviyncell is needed to build the elevator.

Part 307 06 is made of flat sheet heat treated and folded into shape. It needs more generous radii than shown on the plans or it cracks. I must have made about four before I got one without cracks!! The flat outline is shown on the plans as the very light line diamond shape.

307 03 and 307 04 are made of billet or 'T' section (if you can find it) most builders use a solid block or oversize 'T' section and machine it down to size. The smallest length of T section I could source was a full 12ft length and was going to cost over $1000NZD before shipping. I made them out of billet..

It is a complicated little plane, so study the plans well until it all starts to make more sense.

Often it can take longer to source the materials than it actually takes to make the parts...

Shannon.

4. Mar 17, 2018 #4

josephdfco

josephdfco

josephdfco

Thank you very much! Did you end up needing CNC for the machined parts, or were you able to do them manually? Were there any parts, like the bearings, that you were able to source somewhere?
    Would you mind if I kept in contact with you during this build, and PM'ed you from time to time for guidance?

5. Mar 17, 2018 #5

MadRocketScientist

MadRocketScientist

MadRocketScientist

Canterbury, New Zealand, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy.
    I cut just about all the parts on my CNC, I did make the steel parts with manual tools (drill press etc) as there are so few and it made a nice change from CNCing everything.

I got my spherical bearings from https://www.nationalprecision.com/spherical-plain-bearings/metric/standard_duty.php get a few extras as the fits vary, By all accounts the SKF bearings also vary in their fit and cost about 4 times as much. The wheel bearings should be available at just about any bearing suppliler>

I have been unable to find the correct tyres for the main wheels, the nose wheel is easy as it is a mobility scooter size. The Hotellier ball joints for the flapperon linkages can be hard to find.

PM me or just ask here as I am subscribed to this thread!

Shannon