Quantcast

Geodetic Construction Resources

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

D_limiter

Lifetime Supporter
Ok, so I might have gone down a rabbit hole after getting inspired by Pop's JMR special, and Fritz's rear fuselage on his Ranger. Here are some resources I found about Geodetic Design. It's gotten me thinking about slow, light airplanes like ultralights, or reworking the fuselage on a Ragwing Stork.

Geodetic Aircraft Structure by Keith Powell (Very useful construction information)
Geodetic Aircraft Design - History and Vickers information
Geodetics - More general history
Cygnet and some Fisher planes use geodetic construction.
Image of Player CT-6A fuselage and tail.
Why are geodesic airframes no longer produced?
A History of Full Scale Testing of Aircraft Structuers at the National Aeronautical Establishment - Brief mention of the geodetic Hurricane wing
Development of Geodetic Composite Aircraft Structures
Stress, strain and displacement analysis of geodetic and conventional fuselage structure for future passenger aircraft - Research paper behind a paywall.
MIT and NASA engineers demonstrate a new kind of airplane wing - Speculative article on adaptive lattices

And of course, there are a number of good discussions on the forum here. Feel free to add anything I missed.

plncraze

HBA Supporter
There is a small aircraft historical society in Oregon that has a geodetic fuselage hanging their building. I can't remember if it is Player's Plaything or one of the other's mentioned in Powells article. If close it would be a good resource to study. Look up Oregon Outlaws.

D_limiter

Lifetime Supporter
I didn't know that, thanks! I have their DVD on homebuilding history.

Curt Curtis

HBA Supporter
Harry Thalman and Earl Player built geodetic aircraft at the same time. Both were featured by EAA in the magazine. I think the Player special was donated to the EAA. I have Harry's replacement aircraft he was building when he crashed and was killed. REGARDS.................CURTThalman-T4.jpg

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Thanks, D_limiter, for pulling together a great list of resources. FWIW, I was very disappointed to see the Player Sport very sad and neglected in one of the hangars at Oshkosh back in 2012. I hear that it was being restored, I hope that is the case.

player sport.jpgScreenshot 2020-08-11 at 11.50.46 PM.png

TFF

It is being restored, but it is also a display of restoration for the Oshkosh show. There is no rush. If they restore it too fast they will have to come up with something else.

plncraze

HBA Supporter
Curt, please share more about the airplane when you have a chance.

Bill-Higdon

There is a small aircraft historical society in Oregon that has a geodetic fuselage hanging their building. I can't remember if it is Player's Plaything or one of the other's mentioned in Powells article. If close it would be a good resource to study. Look up Oregon Outlaws.
Earl Players bird is somewhere in OshKosh

TFF

I have always seen the Player in the AeroPlane Workshop building every time. I don’t think it gets worked on except during the show. They have always been working on the wings. I think they were covering one last year. Probably take another four years to get through the other wing. The fuselage is going to be a big project for a volunteer crew.

D_limiter

Lifetime Supporter
A previous post mentioned that Dean Sigler gave a presentation called Geodetic Airplanes and Outlaw Airmen. I reached out to Mr. Sigler and he was kind enough to share his presentation with me. It has interesting history and great pictures.