• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Geodetic Construction Resources

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D_limiter

Supporting Member
Ok, so I might have gone down a rabbit hole after getting inspired by Pop's JMR special, and Fritz's rear fuselage on his Ranger. Here are some resources I found about Geodetic Design. It's gotten me thinking about slow, light airplanes like ultralights, or reworking the fuselage on a Ragwing Stork.

Geodetic Aircraft Structure by Keith Powell (Very useful construction information)
Geodetic Aircraft Design - History and Vickers information
Geodetics - More general history
Cygnet and some Fisher planes use geodetic construction.
Image of Player CT-6A fuselage and tail.
Why are geodesic airframes no longer produced?
A History of Full Scale Testing of Aircraft Structuers at the National Aeronautical Establishment - Brief mention of the geodetic Hurricane wing
Development of Geodetic Composite Aircraft Structures
Stress, strain and displacement analysis of geodetic and conventional fuselage structure for future passenger aircraft - Research paper behind a paywall.
MIT and NASA engineers demonstrate a new kind of airplane wing - Speculative article on adaptive lattices

And of course, there are a number of good discussions on the forum here. Feel free to add anything I missed.

Back