Garage/Shop heating ?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Rhino

I live in NW Ohio. I have a 24x32 ft pole barn with 10 ft ceiling. There is 6 inches insulation in the walls and ceiling. A concrete floor slab. and a 16x8 ft door (1 1/2 foam insulated door)
I have the same thing in SW Ohio, except mine isn't insulated yet. My current problem is the ridge vent, which drips water inside when the wind blows strong enough to push the raindrops in. Until I solve that problem, I don't want to put any insulation up there, just to see it get soaked.

Double Eagle

You may want to look into cove heating.It is very effectve,radiant electric heat. you will need about 10 watts per square foot. It is easy to install on a wall up high out of the way. I have it in my 400 square foot garage in Wisconsin, and I love it.

Last edited:

BBerson

HBA Supporter
Did you mean 10 kilowatts?

Is the Cove heater a long tube that gets red hot with a shiny reflector above?

I was thinking about radiant heat also.

Double Eagle

I miss quoted , it is 10 watts per sq ft. Cove heaters look a lot like base board heaters from the front, but are actually quite flat. Google Comfort Cove Electric Heat, and it has a lot of good information. They were also the least expensive.

Rhino

Any gas heater, assuming good efficiency will consume 1 gal of fuel per 100,000 BTU's per hour.

:) CJ
I think my propane may be measured in pounds. I dunno for sure. The wife pays the bill. Guess I should check. Thanks.

Captain_John

Yup, 4.2 pounds per gallon.

I have a 100 gal. (420 tank as it is called) at the hangar. It is the big, round one that is kinda fat enough for you to almost reach around. It is really common.

:) CJ

Group Builder