• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Fowler Flap Follows CG Aft

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GESchwarz

In reference to my other thread on Tandem Seat - Passenger in Back, how about the following solution for the aft-shifting CG.

Add a Fowler flap that is deployed aft with slight downward deflection as a standard, forward-most position anytime that I'm carring payload aft of me and my CG. This would give me the pitching moment I need to compensate for the CG shift and the added lift needed, and resolve my trim problem instead of using the elevator.

For takeoff and landing I would have additional flap travel and downward deflection.

Would this work?!

Another question for those who have experience with track-type Fowler flap mechanisms. What sort of wheel/material type and how much play is designed into that slot in which the wheel travels? I would imagine that the play would be only large enough to allow the wheel to roll along the loaded side, but not enough to allow rattle between the two parallel track. Is "rattle" an issue? Any ideas on an inexpensive jack screw design?

Back