Forming Canopies - Building an oven

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

sandal

forming canopies

Jake, I have been searching for exactly this type of information for some time, THANKS!!!!!

sandal

Jman

Site Developer
Very glad to hear I was able to help someone else out for a change. It's usually the other way around is seems! If you end up doing it, let us know how it turned out.

Jake

sandal

I most certainly will! I'm looking into free blowing a new canopy for my CH200. I have a fairly good idea what I'j doing, but if anyone has any information on this subject they'd like to share, I'd sure be glad to hear it!

sandal

sandal

formmg canopiesOutstasnding

Outstanding info!! Thanks A Lot. I like to have a chrystal clear picture of every step of a process of before I get out the tools. This is definately helpful!!

sandal

gahan

forming canopy

jman
just found your Ref. to forming canopy. I've been searching the web for
for 6 Mo. and that is the best yet. Found a number of referances in modlers sights , but squat with our little airplane buddies. i've have it in my favorites. so it wont get lost
thanks much
reguards
tom gahan

Cavalier

I am looking for plans or instructions on building an oven to form plexi over a form. I have tried the link in the first post, but it takes me to a different website.

Thanks for any help.

Cav

BBerson

HBA Supporter
I built a 4x8' oven with waferboard and 2x4s. It is heated with a 2000 watt electric barn heater and the broiler element borrowed from the kitchen oven. Should be about 4000 watts. The oven is insulated with about 3" of fiberglass. I got it up to 300 degrees, but 280 seems to be sufficient. Takes about 50 minutes.

Today, I installed a fan to help control hot spots.
BB

Cavalier

To all,

I'd like to know more about the oven and what you are going about forming the plexi. Puttiing the plexi in a frame and pulling the plexi over a mold or ??. Will a hot piece of plexi conform to a mold?

I need to make an oven and a system to stretch the plexi over a mold to make the side windows on my plane. The windows are about 20 x 32" and a compound curve.

A long time ago I saw this done, but I can't remember just how to do it.

Cav