• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Form Blocks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boltz

Hi,

I'm just about to start making form blocks for the plane I'm building and just have a few questions.

1. If the flange is going to be 1", is it ok to use 3/4" thick material for the form block? I could form the flange to about 80 degrees and do the rest out of the form block.
2. The block that you use to support the aluminium (not the one you're forming over), should it be smaller than the form block so that you can get the hammer in on the radius? Say 1/2" smaller? Or should it be the same size as the form block?
3. On bulkheads, has anyone tried making half form blocks? What I mean by that is if the part is symmetrical make a form block slightly bigger than half and form one side, rotate and then form the other. That way making it symmetrical.

Any other tricks that I should know?

Thanks

Back