• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

flywheel drive starter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pilotsailing

I was thinking about the starter setup on the Great Plains flywheel drive engine and was wondering. If I wanted to hand prop the engine could I leave both the starter and flywheel off ? This seems to save about 13 lbs. Taking a Great Plains engine at 158 lbs, less 13 lbs and 10 lbs for the $950 light weight cylinders would give an engine weighing 135 lbs. That seems pretty light. Can the engine be hand propped using the 009 ignition system ?

I may be wrong but...
I know of no engine that will run without a flywheel in place as it balances the engine.

R.S. Hoover suggested using the Great Plains flywheel drive setup without the flex plate and ring gear and hand propping on his blog.

I use no flywheel.
I only have X casting kit as per GPASC catalog on page 49 and it works great...

Gaston

So Gaston with no flywheel or starter your engine is 13 lbs lighter, is that right ?

Ken
Can't tell precisely but GPASC catalog says their starter is 8.5 # and the flywheel is 5.5#
plus an adequate battery of at least 10#,plus the case needed for a starter is heavier than the small X casting,plus sufficient wiringplus support, which may be considerable if you have to install the battery behind pilot seat for W&B.
all this is way too heavy for me...
and hand propping is so easy and safe on this bird when done properly...

Gaston

Thanks for the info Gaston, I live just down the road from you in P.E.I. and am building a stretch. Looking ahead a little bit and wondering about engines. Did I read on the fourm somewhere you are using Nikasil cylinders ? If so, your engine must be light . What kind of ignition are you using ?

Ken I almost flew there ,a few years ago ,but the low ceiling kept me from crossing the channel,I'm scared of flying low over water ...
so I flew direct to Charlo NB...
I'll probably try again later this summer...

By the GPASC number ,a 2276 with nikasil ,is about 5# lighter than a stock 2180.
I never had the idea of weighing it complete ,ready to run,I'm curious...
I use a 4316 mag and a GPASC secondary ignition...

Hope you can make it this summer Gaston. Charlottetown airport needs a good looking airplane once in a while.

I'm confused....
How do you balance the engine without a flywheel?
Is it that much different than a V8 or other motors?

The primary function of a flywheel is to absorb the engine's energy pulses to provide smooth power delivery to a drive train. In the case of the basic, non-starter equipped VW, the propellor acts as the flywheel. This is true of the small Continental flat fours as well. They don't have a flywheel because that prop is the flywheel.

i use a 009 ignition with the x-casting just make sure you use a primer, but its real easy to start.

Back