• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Flying with the Manatees

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris In Marshfield

Staff member
Supporting Member
Down in Crystal River, Florida visiting family this week, and my brother is here, too, with his teenage boys and daughter. They’d never been in a small plane, and the weather was perfect for a flight. I finally thought to bring my license and stuff with me, and went down to the to local FBO and rented a plane for a couple of hours. Yeah, it wasn’t a Maule, but a C172 will do in a pinch. Super smooth day for slow flying, and we spent some time circling the various springs in the area. The manatees were up in the springs by the hundreds. Both King’s Bay and Homosassa Spring we’re loaded up with the gentle giants. The kids thought it was the coolest thing ever. I did, too, since I’ve been dying to fly in Florida at mom folks’ home airport.

Great way to spend the morning!

Back