• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

First flight for the GeeVee!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I purchased and then refurbished "SPEEDY "after I was unable to get my original Sonerai IILT - N201DT - "Sonny" out of my head. I sold it in 2009, and wanted one ever since. Beautiful day, great flight, all went well. Man, it is good to strap on a Sonerai again!

I like the heck out of that. How's it fly?
Thanks Tiger Tim!!

Due to having over 125 hrs on my previous Sonerai IILT, I decided not to do any high-speed taxiing and no crow-hops either. It is light on the stick, you basically rest your forearm on your leg and fly with three fingers - not "twitchy" at all, but responsive is how I characterize it. Plenty of control in all three axes, and well harmonized. It has a low-time engine, still breaking it in, so CHT's were a little high on climb-out, and I kept a bit of extra speed on landing. I did a wheel landing because I wasn't 100% sure the airspeed was reading correctly, a couple of small skips, nothing alarming, and a little dancing on the pedals, and YEE HAA!
I can't wait to get it in the air and do some testing and data collection using the EAA Flight Test Manual, and if you are building or restoring - "Git 'Er Done" ASAP!!

Tim

Nothin like a happy pilot. Except, a happy test pilot after a first flight even better.

The taxi in / dismount video of the pilot after that memorable first flight is only a distant third but it is still a good reminder.

Wishing you many more happy days to come.

Nothin like a happy pilot. Except, a happy test pilot after a first flight even better.

The taxi in / dismount video of the pilot after that memorable first flight is only a distant third but it is still a good reminder.

Wishing you many more happy days to come.
You nailed it jedi, and Thanks!

Apparently the Sonerai is one of the most under-rated airplanes out there. I certainly didn't pay enough attention to it myself admittedly. The Gee Vee in the photo is pretty dang good looking, I really like the modernized shape you built into the top of the fin and rudder, that's a really nice touch, that I've thought about on a lot of my own sketches over the years.

Apparently the Sonerai is one of the most under-rated airplanes out there. I certainly didn't pay enough attention to it myself admittedly. The Gee Vee in the photo is pretty dang good looking, I really like the modernized shape you built into the top of the fin and rudder, that's a really nice touch, that I've thought about on a lot of my own sketches over the years.
It really is hard to beat for both performance and economy, not to mention FUN!. Speedy has a HAPI 1835cc VW conversion, which should cruise at about 3.5-3.8 gallons of autogas per hour. That should get me 125 mph+ cruise if I have the right prop. Testing will tell...

Back