• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Fabric weight?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try calling consolidated coatings out in riverside ca. @800 362 3490 they have all the answers to your questions, and stick with 2.7 oz. whatever system you choose. jack

The actual fabric is the bargain in pricing the covering materials. The tapes and all the coatings are the expensive part.....Ed

I recovered my tail in 2010 because I enlarged the Fin and Rudder. Somehow I could not get matching paint in polytone and they delivered Ranthane. I did not realize the implications until I read the manual.
So... I created a remote breathing system, separate compressor, line filters, the works. At the end of the painting I was the same person I was when I started, No heart issues, No catalyzed liver etc.
It was was worth it having the full face mask and remote air. I set the inlet air to about 5 psi. Valves open in the mask system to bleed excess air out. It cools the whole Tyvek suit and mask. There is no fog or sweat in the mask. The 5psi pressure serves as breathing assist. You don't become exhausted trying to draw air through filters. if you needed to paint for 8 hours you could. I was 62 when I did this painting.
The whole mask and fabricated parts cost under $200 plus my labour.
I use the mask anytime I have to sand, grind carbide bits, use a band saw for a long time, or do a big job on the horizontal milling machine. There are just a zillion aluminum shavings and flakes in the air when you mill 6061 AL.
The mask itself is 3M.
Bill

Bil438 said:
I recovered my tail in 2010 because I enlarged the Fin and Rudder. Somehow I could not get matching paint in polytone and they delivered Ranthane. I did not realize the implications until I read the manual.
So... I created a remote breathing system, separate compressor, line filters, the works. At the end of the painting I was the same person I was when I started, No heart issues, No catalyzed liver etc.
It was was worth it having the full face mask and remote air. I set the inlet air to about 5 psi. Valves open in the mask system to bleed excess air out. It cools the whole Tyvek suit and mask. There is no fog or sweat in the mask. The 5psi pressure serves as breathing assist. You don't become exhausted trying to draw air through filters. if you needed to paint for 8 hours you could. I was 62 when I did this painting.
The whole mask and fabricated parts cost under $200 plus my labour.
I use the mask anytime I have to sand, grind carbide bits, use a band saw for a long time, or do a big job on the horizontal milling machine. There are just a zillion aluminum shavings and flakes in the air when you mill 6061 AL.
The mask itself is 3M.
Bill

Bill, great item. Could you create us a short "Article" on how you did this and the materials for the "Article" section. As an old house/industrial painter I am curious. And as a 59 approaching 62 Fedex Dangerous Goods Agent I am in favor of any prevention to toxic "anything" to prolong my life. thanks. Pete. ;)

Pete, and others who may be interested, there is just such an article already on this site. Scott has one in the Articles section. Easy to make and effective.

Tom

Very intersting thread since i am thinking of re-covering mine SII. Is there anyone who knows the quantity of material asked by Tim?
Manu

Raceair said:
Just checked my notes....I had 14 yards, 70" wide....Ed

Manu - Ed's reply from this thread, and it was a Sonerai II. I ordered 16 yards for my Sonerai II Stretch, just to be sure I wouldn't have to place another order for a yard later. Might have a yard or so left over, which may come in handy one day.

Tom

Manu....And, you probably won't. Most people buy a base quantity, like, if using Nitrate and Butyrate, 3 gallons of each, and a quart of glue, for starters. For some, 'If three coats is good, 5 coats is better' So there cannot be a difinitive quantity of liquids called out. Some want a super light finish, others want to totally hide the tapes. For the 2" tapes, I would start with 2 rolls. Its your call....Ed

Hi Emmanuel,

Here's what I ordered for my IILS: 1 quart kit of white epoxy paint (for the frame), 16 yards of Poly Fiber fabric, 1 gallon enamel Reducer, 1 quart Poly Spray, 1 roll of hand stitch thread, one 6" curved needle and one 12" straight needle, 1 gallon of tinted Poly Brush, 1 quart of Poly Spray, two 50 yard rolls of Polyfiber tape, and one quart of Poly Tak cement (because I have a quart on hand). The cost was $542.60 from Aircraft Spruce, plus $130 shipping. I will wait to order the topcoat paint, but it will likely be Aerothane.

Can't tell you if this is too much or not enough. If its too much, that's ok, because there is another fabric covered build coming (a Raceair Designs 'Lil Bitts biplane), and a recover on my Raceair Designs Skylite.

Hope that helps.

Tom

While talking with AS about my fabric and glue order, I learned that shipping the fabric folded instead of rolled saves $82.19 on the freight bill. Apparently the shippers don't like long packages. When the fabric arrives I will roll it on a tube, bag it, and set it aside until I am ready to apply it.

Tom

n3480h said:
While talking with AS about my fabric and glue order, I learned that shipping the fabric folded instead of rolled saves $82.19 on the freight bill. Apparently the shippers don't like long packages. When the fabric arrives I will roll it on a tube, bag it, and set it aside until I am ready to apply it.

Tom

True, they get mishandled. Hard to stack boxes on round stuff. Your folded fabric will be perfect I am sure. Will shoot you an email about a plan to team up on my project.
-Pete

Checking up on this old thread-
Tom, did your quantities turn out to be what you needed? I'm finally about to start the covering process.
-Scott

Back