• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Experimentals for non-profit work?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTAirco

Another thread somewhere has had me wondering about this:

We can't use Experimentals for any kind of commercial work, but would it be legal to fly one for a non-profit organization? By definition, it's non-commercial, but I am not sure the FAA would see it that way. I am thinking along the lines of what is is usually called "Missionary" aviation - bush flying; medical aid in remote places, that kind of thing. (I personally have no interest in flying bibles out to people who got along perfectly fine for thousands of years without them, but who could use other, more urgent forms of aid.)

Would the FAA consider it "flying for hire or reward" if all you did was supply the airplane and your services as a pilot, and received no renumeration, but had the tanks filled by such an organisation?

I can see Experimentals being of great use since one could design and build such an aircraft specifically for such a purpose or use something like a Murphy Moose or a CompAir, at a fraction of the cost of say, a Beaver or Cessna 206, which is the typical choice for these outfits. You would be free to do your own maintenance, do modifications and repairs as needed, use non-certified (i.e.cheap) parts etc. The cost of 'real' bushplanes is astronomical due the demand, since there are so few suitable designs out there. Check the price of a Cessna 185 on floats or even a Supercub - it is staggering.

Back