• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

EXPERImental

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimace

A side discussion on another thread got me thinking about the difference between the planes that are listed as experimental by the FAA, and those that are seriously EXPERIMENTAL.

That word... experimental... has twelve letters. Maybe we could create a standard. 12 degrees of demarcation which differentiate "experimental" airplanes frome EXPERIMENTAL airplanes. Please forgive me... I've been drinking. But I was thinking you should maybe get one capital letter for each risk-factor that you have in a design.

For example, if you're experimenting with a relatively unproven airfoil, you get a capital E. If you also have an experimental engine, you get a capital X. You're just a shadetree eyeball designer? You get a capital P...

Now... I'm not sure if each letter would be attributable to a single characteristic. I would think it simpler if the number of capital letters were the deciding factor.

Maybe even include a thirteenth factor that could be an exclamation point...

EXPERIMENTAL!

If nothing else, I think it may be an interesting and enlightening discussion.

I'm just spit-balling here, but some factors that make an experimental airplane EXPERIMENTAL! in my mind include... unproven engine, swept wing, unknown/untrained designer, unusual mission requirements, unusual building techniques, unusual tail configuration, unusual materials...

What else could be added to the list? What sends up red flags when looking at a new design, telling you that maybe it needs a little more scrutiny than other similar designs?

Back