• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Equipping an aircraft with avionics that would allow it to be used as an IFR trainer (not hardcore IFR commuter)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westcliffe01

Supporting Member
My wife is currently working on her PPL, next year is probably going to be the instrument rating on the path to commercial pilot.

Our airplane is currently equipped for VFR. I'm looking into the feasibility of a panel upgrade that would make it suitable to use as an IFR trainer. Its an experimental so unless its something beyond my capability I would intend to do the panel rebuild myself. Its a side by side so has a fair amount of panel space and currently has a 10" Dynon EFIS with a Garmin portable GPS. I like Dynon and they provide this suggestion for IFR
1684458911207.png
Suggestions on a suitable IFR GPS ? + external items like a heated Pitot.

Could someone give me a short list of items needed to satisfy the requirements for IFR ?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back