Encouragement and product plugs for those wanting to paint at home

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Gsport

HBA Supporter
Successfully doing fabric and painting in the basement which is open to the rest of the house (high-risk environment!). Using Stewart Systems for glue, fill and primer - hardly any odor for any of those (no topcoat yet). Using Eastwood QST 30/60 scroll compressor - very quiet, the claims of 'sounds like an air conditioner' are true. 60' of 3/4" pipe (garage > basement) + 3 moisture traps + 50' of air hose, still plenty of air for HVLP, and it's got wheels! Isolated work area with plastic stapled to the ceiling, placed a single Utilitech 20" high speed fan ($44 version) in the window, draws PLENTY of air from upstairs, surprised at the number of relief flaps I had to cut in the plastic. Most importantly: no complaints from a very sensitive wife!

Aug 20.jpg Jun 21 019.jpg Jun 21 031.jpg Jun 21 015.jpg

patrickrio

Just a recommendation that I don't see in your DIY paint booth build....

I like to build a big exit filter box through some cheap HVAC filters to stop the fine paint dust from being distributed about. Your wife will eventually hate dusting everything more than the smell......

Gsport

HBA Supporter
What’s the tasty airplane?
My own design. Goal: something different. 2 place, UL Power 350iS, Airmaster electric prop, all-flying tail, full-span flaperons capable of reflex, GRS chute. Firewall 'just happens' to match an RV-6 (did not want to do THAT much glass work), and windshield is a cut-down RV-14 canopy. Truly "Experimental"! Already getting pre-flight jitters, even though it's still 2-3 months away.