• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Effect of wind on the drag value during cruise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwreck

Random question:
Does the drag on an airplane change due to headwind?

Some of the texts I read state that drag is calculated based on airspeed.

When flying in a headwind, the groundspeed will reduce. Therefore, to increase the groundspeed, one has to increase the airspeed, which in turns will increase drag, since drag is proportional to the square of velocity.

But, I was basically wondering if there is a separate drag component that takes into account the effect of wind when doing the Thrust = Drag analysis for cruise.

I apologize if this sounds like a silly question.

Back