• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Does anyone think it would be possible to construct the fuselage out of aluminum? I just like working with aluminum rather than welding and fabric.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, then you would be essentially building an airplane from scratch and it wouldn’t be a Sonerai any longer. If you’re enthused about aluminum construction,
why not build a Sonex?
Does anyone know if it would be feasible to construct the fuselage out of aluminum? I just like working with aluminum rather than dealing with the welding and fabric. Any thoughts would be appreciated
It would be feasible to build the plane utilizing aluminum skin, instead of fabric, over a chrome-moly frame, but I might use square tubing instead of round, in this instance. As an old Army airframe man and as a retired sheet metal worker and welder, this wouldn’t be an issue at all. I’ve been contemplating it for awhile now, myself. Good luck going forward!

Your pricings is about right. I'm building a Panther at the moment. The construction is very easy but if I were to start over I would have built a Sonerai 2ls mainly due to cost and seating two. The Panther fuse is very roomy though for a one seater and a very capable aircraft with folding wings as well.
Seems like a Sonerai 1 will outperform the Panther most ways for a lot less money and probably a lot easier build. Looking at the Panther pages, looks like it'll put someone back $30,000-$40,000 to get it in the air. On the other hand, there always seems to be a partially built Sonerai I for sale somewhere for cheap.
https://www.barnstormers.com/classified-1637635-Sonerai-1.html?catid=19002

If folding wings are an important part of your selection process, I would have suggested the Sonex Onex but it's pretty ugly as well, in that Sonex kind of way.

Hey guys, thanks for the input...all good thoughts. As for the choice between the Soneri and Sonex, I really that I just like the Soneri look better. Really, the only reason that for wanting to use aluminum and rivet construction is that I just like working with the aluminum rather than welding tube and working with fabric.
Don't let naysayers discourage your dreams. I bet you could build one and it will be great! Just do weight and balance estimates before you start and along the way. I'm thinking you could hang a Apex or Nytro Yamaha or Viking 150 on it and end up with a Beautiful Speed Demon!! Go for it!

Does anyone know if it would be feasible to construct the fuselage out of aluminum? I just like working with aluminum rather than dealing with the welding and fabric. Any thoughts would be appreciated
Yes it is possible and a Great Idea! The Naysayers are the ones that spend all there time talking themselves out of anything. It's easy to naysay a project online. That's what they do! That's all they can do! Probably never bucked a rivet in there lives! Use your skills! Take your time and you will succeed! Use time tested A&P practices and even barrow ideas from existing aircraft and you will be able to build a amazing aircraft.

I did consider the Onex but I like the way the wings fold back on the Soneri, (better for trailering), the Onex wings fold straight up

I’d be interested in an all metal fuselage as well on a sonerai . Just need to find a capable engineer that could draw up structural fuselage plans.

"The Naysayers are the ones that spend all their time talking themselves out of anything."

Of course, this forum would not exist if it had not been for some dreamers. The most important thing is to dream safely. The FAA and NTSB has plenty of documentation of design dreams gone bad. As far as engineering your dream, look at my recent post (Right hand column), "Aircraft Design and Engineering" and you may have found the engineer you seek. Sonja designs and builds experimental, is a test pilot, works on projects, etc. She has a series of free aircraft design videos on YouTube and sells a series of books she has written on the same. If you don't have the patience to watch her series of free aircraft design videos and read the books, then you might want to reconsider trying to design an airplane. First off, I'd say that aircraft design does not begin with wanting to work with a particular material. It begins with a mission for the design. Form follows function. See her video #1.

For an inexpensive real-life look at what it takes to design and build your own aircraft, buy Cunningham's biography of John Monnett that ". . . includes many not generally available pictures, and numerous tidbits of the trials, frustrations and successes of small-plane design. .. it highlights not only the .. Sonerai, and the .. Sonex kit-aircraft, but also many designs in between and the efforts of many folks who worked with Monnett, including his wife, .. and ... Pete Buck." https://www.sonexaircraft.com/sonerai/

In relative terms of chance to succeed, consider that there are about 8 billion people walking the planet right now. Add another couple or three billion who have died since the advent of aviation. Out of those ~11 billion people, the aviation dreamers have come up with a thousand or so experimental, amateur-built aircraft designs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_aviation#17th_and_18th_centuries. Out of that hundred and ten years of design, maybe two hundred or so are flying. https://www.barnstormers.com/category-18671-Experimental.html.

While we can all dream of being the "next best thing", the reality of our dream is probably going to end on the garage floor. I do that dreaming, too, but, my wife brings me down to earth every so often, "You're never going to do it." Dreaming could be one of my hobbies. But, beyond dreaming, just building to someone else's tried and tested design is a feat well beyond the abilities of 99.999% of the people on the planet. Take a trip to a department store and think about that as you observe people trying to figure out whether they will fit into a pair of jeans that they can't sew. Most people can't figure out how to grow a potato. Give credit where it is due. The Sonerai design is one of the most efficient, economical, enduring, and lowest-time-to-build aircraft designs, that just happened to start on John's kitchen table. Just building and flying one will get anyone plenty of "attaboy" or "attagirl" pats on the back. Playing with engine options is more than enough of a Sonerai design variable. There are plenty of aluminum designs that are proven and safe and you don't have to start from scratch or risk your life guessing about whether the wings will fall off.

"The Naysayers are the ones that spend all their time talking themselves out of anything."

Of course, this forum would not exist if it had not been for some dreamers. The most important thing is to dream safely. The FAA and NTSB has plenty of documentation of design dreams gone bad. As far as engineering your dream, look at my recent post (Right hand column), "Aircraft Design and Engineering" and you may have found the engineer you seek. Sonja designs and builds experimental, is a test pilot, works on projects, etc. She has a series of free aircraft design videos on YouTube and sells a series of books she has written on the same. If you don't have the patience to watch her series of free aircraft design videos and read the books, then you might want to reconsider trying to design an airplane. First off, I'd say that aircraft design does not begin with wanting to work with a particular material. It begins with a mission for the design. Form follows function. See her video #1.

For an inexpensive real-life look at what it takes to design and build your own aircraft, buy Cunningham's biography of John Monnett that ". . . includes many not generally available pictures, and numerous tidbits of the trials, frustrations and successes of small-plane design. .. it highlights not only the .. Sonerai, and the .. Sonex kit-aircraft, but also many designs in between and the efforts of many folks who worked with Monnett, including his wife, .. and ... Pete Buck." https://www.sonexaircraft.com/sonerai/

In relative terms of chance to succeed, consider that there are about 8 billion people walking the planet right now. Add another couple or three billion who have died since the advent of aviation. Out of those ~11 billion people, the aviation dreamers have come up with a thousand or so experimental, amateur-built aircraft designs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_aviation#17th_and_18th_centuries. Out of that hundred and ten years of design, maybe two hundred or so are flying. https://www.barnstormers.com/category-18671-Experimental.html.

While we can all dream of being the "next best thing", the reality of our dream is probably going to end on the garage floor. I do that dreaming, too, but, my wife brings me down to earth every so often, "You're never going to do it." Dreaming could be one of my hobbies. But, beyond dreaming, just building to someone else's tried and tested design is a feat well beyond the abilities of 99.999% of the people on the planet. Take a trip to a department store and think about that as you observe people trying to figure out whether they will fit into a pair of jeans that they can't sew. Most people can't figure out how to grow a potato. Give credit where it is due. The Sonerai design is one of the most efficient, economical, enduring, and lowest-time-to-build aircraft designs, that just happened to start on John's kitchen table. Just building and flying one will get anyone plenty of "attaboy" or "attagirl" pats on the back. Playing with engine options is more than enough of a Sonerai design variable. There are plenty of aluminum designs that are proven and safe and you don't have to start from scratch or risk your life guessing about whether the wings will fall off.
thadius, great response and lots of good thoughts. thanks for taking the time and I will watch the videos

I'm an engineer and it would likely cost you more just to have drawings done than it would to just build it like it is designed.

Welding isn't rocket science and fabric covering is fun. I built my Sonerai starting in 1987 before everything about everything was on the internet. I had one book on welding from EAA, bought a used oxy-acetylene torch outfit for I think about $50, rented some bottles, bought a "bag o tubes" and started practicing. You can weld clusters, beat them apart, cut them apart, etc. EAA chapters can be a good source for finding experienced builders of all types of airplanes. That is what I did. Took sample welds to experienced builder and he gave advice, practiced some more, etc. Didn't take long to get comfortable that my welds would hold. Over the years I have acquired and learned TIG an MIG and a little stick welding too. Nowadays, you can also get TIG units to do 4130 pretty cheap, about $500 will get you a decent rig with high frequency start and foot control. Another $100-150 to get torch supplies like gas lenses, tungsten, etc. $1000 can get you an AC TIG unit to do aluminum as well as steel. Local trade schools and community colleges many times have evening classes to learn things like welding, and then if you are close enough there are the EAA workshops. TIG is both easier in some ways and harder in some ways than oxy-acetylene. MIG can be used, and is for both production aircraft and kits but it is too easy for an inexperienced welder to lay a good looking weld with not so good penetration. TIG or oxy-acetylene would be my choice for a whole fuselage.

I'm an engineer and it would likely cost you more just to have drawings done than it would to just build it like it is designed.

Welding isn't rocket science and fabric covering is fun. I built my Sonerai starting in 1987 before everything about everything was on the internet. I had one book on welding from EAA, bought a used oxy-acetylene torch outfit for I think about $50, rented some bottles, bought a "bag o tubes" and started practicing. You can weld clusters, beat them apart, cut them apart, etc. EAA chapters can be a good source for finding experienced builders of all types of airplanes. That is what I did. Took sample welds to experienced builder and he gave advice, practiced some more, etc. Didn't take long to get comfortable that my welds would hold. Over the years I have acquired and learned TIG an MIG and a little stick welding too. Nowadays, you can also get TIG units to do 4130 pretty cheap, about $500 will get you a decent rig with high frequency start and foot control. Another $100-150 to get torch supplies like gas lenses, tungsten, etc. $1000 can get you an AC TIG unit to do aluminum as well as steel. Local trade schools and community colleges many times have evening classes to learn things like welding, and then if you are close enough there are the EAA workshops. TIG is both easier in some ways and harder in some ways than oxy-acetylene. MIG can be used, and is for both production aircraft and kits but it is too easy for an inexperienced welder to lay a good looking weld with not so good penetration. TIG or oxy-acetylene would be my choice for a whole fuselage.
thanks for the reply109jb, Believe it or not I have both a mig and tig welder, but just prefer the aluminum fuselage. I have also been checking out other all aluminum projects like the hummel h5, but none of them have the folding wing system that is on the Soneri. If I could figure out a way to adapt that system to one of those, I would do that

thanks for the reply109jb, Believe it or not I have both a mig and tig welder, but just prefer the aluminum fuselage. I have also been checking out other all aluminum projects like the hummel h5, but none of them have the folding wing system that is on the Soneri. If I could figure out a way to adapt that system to one of those, I would do that
I reckon the Zenith CH650 could be adapted for a wing fold mod.
Also good to look at for simple aluminium fuselage construction.
If you really want an aluminium fuselage have a look around at the detail of other designs for good ideas. It can be done without having someone do all the drawings for you. The fuselage is there to keep the tail in the right place relative to the wings and transmit control forces. You already have the shape you want (Sonerai), now you just need to form it from a different material, and make it strong enough, stiff enough and light enough. (and durable enough)
Also you would be wise to proof load the assembly before you go flying.
There are publications that will tell you how to do that.
If you really want to do it...Educate yourself first, don't just take advice off the internet.

I reckon the Zenith CH650 could be adapted for a wing fold mod.
Also good to look at for simple aluminium fuselage construction.
If you really want an aluminium fuselage have a look around at the detail of other designs for good ideas. It can be done without having someone do all the drawings for you. The fuselage is there to keep the tail in the right place relative to the wings and transmit control forces. You already have the shape you want (Sonerai), now you just need to form it from a different material, and make it strong enough, stiff enough and light enough. (and durable enough)
Also you would be wise to proof load the assembly before you go flying.
There are publications that will tell you how to do that.
If you really want to do it...Educate yourself first, don't just take advice off the internet.
great advice mc1, thanks for the reply

I am really curious why you are pursuing what has already been done. The Sonerai designer John Monnett had exactly the same idea, and left Sonerai sales behind to make the Sonex, which is exactly what you are re-creating. The bugs are pretty much out of the Sonex design, and I was under the impression the Sonex community was now administrators for the Sonerai.com site causing the cost of admissions bump.

I am really curious why you are pursuing what has already been done. The Sonerai designer John Monnett had exactly the same idea, and left Sonerai sales behind to make the Sonex, which is exactly what you are re-creating. The bugs are pretty much out of the Sonex design, and I was under the impression the Sonex community was now administrators for the Sonerai.com site causing the cost of admissions bump.
really it just comes down to two things ........i like the looks of the soneri and also the way the wings fold as opposed to the sonex

I watched an EAA webinar with John Monnett a couple if weeks ago. He said they already finished the all aluminum fuselage Sonerai. You can buy them right now, in fact. There are 3 models; plans built Sonex Model A, Sonex Model B kits and Waiex Model B kits.

All kidding aside (though that was his actual response to this very question) he did say they tried a fiberglass and an aluminum covering. Neither were successful because if weight.

I watched an EAA webinar with John Monnett a couple if weeks ago. He said they already finished the all aluminum fuselage Sonerai. You can buy them right now, in fact. There are 3 models; plans built Sonex Model A, Sonex Model B kits and Waiex Model B kits.

All kidding aside (though that was his actual response to this very question) he did say they tried a fiberglass and an aluminum covering. Neither were successful because if weight.
good info,thanks

Back