• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Diesel Engines and Long Range Homebuilts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nschmandt

Hey guys!! Apologies in advance for a post from a novice...

I'm curious to know a little more about how the progress with diesel engines for aircraft is going. I'm very interested in international travel and would be really interested in a two or four seat plane that has long range and consumes jet fuel. I saw a number of posts talking about exciting new engines for LSA in 2016, hopefully some new diesel engines will come out too?

From what I've read, this technology lags behind the availability in cars, and both the DA42 and Cessna 182 had serious problems...but, I know that continental now has the CD-135 and CD-155 going strong in Cessnas and Pipers, though at a higher price and lower TBR. According to their email, they're working on the TBR and will introduce CD-230 early this year.

But, the issue with diesel engines seems to now be less one of availability and more one of affordability. Deltahawk, I've heard, is nearing a final product but will cost in the $70K range...while continental hasn't gotten back to me yet, I don't expect their price to be anything reasonable.

Any word on progress with this issue?

Finally, just one last question...for the plane that I described, two or four seats and long range (3000nm+), preferably retractable gear and 200+KTs cruise, any word on any kits being designed that fit that description (other than the raptor)? Namely, are any current builds being redesigned for diesel engines?

Thanks for any advice people can give!

Back