• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Designing and building your own airplane (FAA questions)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-Rigg

I'm thinking about designing and building my own airplane, and have read through alot of post from this site and others and have a few questions on how the FAA views this practice.

From alot of post and info i have read through states that you can not modify a kit unless with approval on the changes through the designer? And that the plane has to be build to the specs on the plans....

Well then, when you are designing your own plane, does this mean as long as you put it on the plans, the FAA will accept it?

Also after you get the plane built, i know you have to fly for 40 hours near your home airport before you can fly over populated areas for kit planes, does this hold true for plane you design yourself?

Does anyone have a website that has all the processes required (build logs, plans, inspections) by the FAA to get a plane you designed into the air legally?

Thanks,
Kyle

Back