Design contest results from the OUV, good read for aspiring designers

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by autoreply, Jul 26, 2014.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jul 26, 2014 #1

autoreply

autoreply

autoreply

Xanadrone likes this.
  2. Jul 27, 2014 #2

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

Free designs, free designs, yay!! :grin:

I like 11 as well.

spduffee likes this.
  3. Jul 28, 2014 #3

Apollo

Apollo

Apollo

Jarno, your PM was forwarded to my email but doesn't show up in my HBA inbox. But yes, I found #5 to be rather interesting, as well as the #6 electric concept. The #7 concept was also intriquing and I noticed that #8 was very similar to #7 (but from 2 different designers). A couple of them had obvious design issues, but I was impressed with most of the entries. What's up with #11? The sketches reveal this to be a unique concept, but no specs were provided.

Does anyone know of a better way to automatically translate those PDFs other than Google translate? The Google approach translates the text but drops out the pictures/graphs (but our firewall sometimes blocks things at random, so I'm never sure why things don't come through).

4. Jul 29, 2014 #4

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

Copy the pictures onto a Word .doc and then copy the translated text onto the Word .doc.

5. Jul 29, 2014 #5

Xanadrone

Xanadrone

Xanadrone

Good read indeed, at least as a review of basic aero-design rules/formulas, sooo systematically mentioned by those tidy & logical germans - even if not always respected in their concepts.
    For ex., the UFO-ONE interesting negative swept-wings taildragger has the mono-wheel way behind the CG, making the take-off impossible with the nose dragging in the ground... and the landing (at least in theory) equally unpleasant, :gig: whilst the cute ABX has its 2-wheeled landing gear too much in front of the CG, thus never being able to rise the tail at take-off.

Despite those functional shortcomings, the trend of "faceted" cockpits and pusher props with rimmed PSRUs is nice to observe in its (telepatically maybe?) multiplied form.

6. Jul 29, 2014 #6

spduffee

spduffee

spduffee

Well, it is named "Just Fly!"... The takeoff and landing is secondary, I guess.

7. Jul 29, 2014 #7

autoreply

autoreply

autoreply

Might be my fault. Long days, internet on phone, etc ;)
    Next to copying to Word, putting it on google drive you should be able to use google translate natively.