Corsair/Spitfire hybrid

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by Will Aldridge, Oct 16, 2010.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Dec 2, 2013 #401

DangerZone

DangerZone

DangerZone

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Are you sure you got that right? Mark Langford was probably referring to the KR2 gull swing door and rather than a side hinged canopy. Homebuilders of KR2s have built all sorts of canopies in the past, gull swing, side hinged, front hydraulic, sliding, all have their pros and cons...

2. Dec 2, 2013 #402

Will Aldridge

Will Aldridge

Will Aldridge

I honestly don't see how I could have misunderstood him. The quotation was copy and pasted from his website so his words not mine, and here is a picture of the aircraft he bought with the original configuration of a side hinged canopy. The page is devoted to showing how he made it into a front hinged canopy and the reasons for doing it.

130527_031.jpg

Here again is the link to the page. The quotation above is the first paragraph on the page.

btw that is a cool little spitfire if you have a link to a website about it I would like to see it.

3. Dec 2, 2013 #403

DangerZone

DangerZone

DangerZone

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

It seems you are right and got it right. Some of the KR2 homebuilts had canopies with gull swing doors which would be torn away during flight if they were not shut and closed right. There's so many KR2 models that I thought he had such an experience with a canopy door flying away... Thanks for pointing it out.

4. Dec 2, 2013 #404

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

With a short, single place canopy you have plenty more options than the long slider on the tandems, agreed.

As far as thickness for the windscreen goes, I'd say go as thick as you can stand. It's going to be a small one, so increasing the thickness may not hurt much for overall weight. I have .250" on the RV; my buddy has .375" on his Rocket; and I'm toying with .500" on my Rocket. Might be overkill, but taking a bird to the face like I've done tends to change your pespective. Just a week ago I flew through a flock of birds that went over, under, and around the airplane with no hits. I have to tell you, I felt downright naked under that eggshell thin blown canopy that's currently installed on the Rocket. Great visability, sure... But nowhere to hide!

I had flapperons on the Hiperbipe and had no problem with them. Speed brakes are going to have to be pretty big to be effective at approach speeds for something of your wing loading. I'd only caution you to make sure you're not simply trading one form of complexity for another.

5. Dec 2, 2013 #405

autoreply

autoreply

autoreply

I've seen several gliders land with them open. Eve the Schempp-Hirth twins (Janus, duo) do just fine @ 60 kts with an open canopy and those are HUGE. As long as it's reasonably strong as is your "fold limiter", it shouldn't be too much of an issue at low speeds.
    28 is the limit of what I've seen for pure flaperons. At those kind of deflections you need a lot of differential, 3:1 or so.
    The link you've seen are flaps inboard and flaperons outboard. Page 11:
    [h=2]http://iof2.idrottonline.se/ImageVaultFiles/id_7005/cf_78/2007Vortrag29.pdf[/h]
    I'm clueless. The only difference is that many skip a lot of the ballast weight and have a dampener engage when you select full negative flaps, both limiting roll deflections and adding a lot of dampening. LS3/6 etc.
    Would an almost vertical thick piece of acrylic, mounted on the instrument panel be an option? Better visibility, lighter weight and still protected from a direct impact?

The proposed ones are pretty simple:
    salto-4m-6.jpg
    I wasn't sure myself whether I needed flaperons. I have had a topic about it, but it turns out that my own design would be waaay too floaty, worse as a C172 with flaps up. Any idea about L/D with the flaperons down on your Hyperbipe?

6. Dec 2, 2013 #406

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Another (unsolicited) opinion: A flat-wrap polycarbonate (e.g. Lexan) windscreen gives outstanding impact resistance compared to a similar weight acrylic windscreen. "Blown" (or "draped") acrylic used for the canopy can provide the compound curves if desired and is less expensive in this less critical area. As a bonus, the flat-wrapped windscreen is relatively cheap and simple to replace when it gets damaged or just scratched up, it's much less trouble and expense than replacing the whole canopy.
    The windscreen bow also can be built to provide rollover protection if the design requires it, and a handy place to hang a whiskey compass!

7. Dec 2, 2013 #407

dcstrng

dcstrng

dcstrng

NealLoving3.jpg

I didn’t wade through your many responses, so I apologize if someone has already suggested this, but your design (really fascinating) looks like a modern incarnation of Neal Loving’s “Love” of the early 1950s…

Loving’s Love was always one of my favorites even when I was kid growing up – so your design resonates.

8. Dec 2, 2013 #408

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Power off glide with the prop in full fine was decidedly brick like. Flap deployment only resulted in a 5 MPH reduction in stall speed, but that increased stall margin was the primary benefit. It could get in and out of some pretty tight strips.

9. Dec 8, 2013 #409

Will Aldridge

Will Aldridge

Will Aldridge

I went and looked at the image of that control mixer but I can't make heads or tail out of it. I've been playing around with ways to add differential movement into my ailerons and have one idea I might post later today but I would sure like to see any pics you have of the mechanical systems so I can get some idea of what needs to be done.

My design is even simpler than that. Instead of using bearings like they have I drew my speed brake in the fully extended position and then and then added a piano hinge where it intersected the lower wing skin and despite the gull wings the torque tube is straight so actuation is not complex.

The WAR Corsair uses the front gear doors as it's speed brakes and my speed brakes are a little larger than that so I think in conjunction with the flaperons I ought to be able to slow it down nicely for landing.

10. Dec 9, 2013 #410

autoreply

autoreply

autoreply

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2019
  11. Dec 10, 2013 #411

Birdman100

Birdman100

Birdman100

Beechcraft bonanza has very simple V-tail mixer. The same (concept) can be used for flapperons.

delta likes this.
  12. Mar 31, 2014 #412

Will Aldridge

Will Aldridge

Will Aldridge

I finally did some detail work on the elevator control system. Again I borrowed components from the WAR Corsair.
    elevator linkage.jpg
    First screen cap shows the plane looking at the right underside to give an overview of the system.

mixer and idler.jpg
    Second screen cap shows the control stick and mixer and the first of 3 pushrods that goes from the mixer to a idler that will be mounted to a bracket attached to the seat back. The first pushrod will be 5/8" diameter and is only about 17" long.

reverser and TW lock.jpg

The above shows the aft end of the middle push rod where it attaches to what I am calling a reverser. I'm sure there is a correct term but since the control horn will be on the underside of the elevator, if it were possible to run a pushrod straight from the stick to the control horn the elevator would move opposite the way it should.

The second and third pushrods are approx. 50" long and will be 7/8" diameter.

You will also notice the green cable coming off the bottom of the reverser and going to the tailwheel. I just found the Raven Locking Tailwheel and it looks like exactly what I want although a bit pricey. The tailwheel will lock except when the stick is full aft then it will be able to swivel freely.

13. Jun 18, 2016 #413

Will Aldridge

Will Aldridge

Will Aldridge

I've been going back and forth on the flap system for a long time. I've had multiple ideas on how to make the system as simple as possible and I've come to the conclusion that the 3 piece system as used on the corsair is probably the best bet. I found these videos of a guy whose building a WAR Corsair and added flaps to it and I like his system and think I will do something similar. The only issue is that my aft spar is substantially thinner than his due to using a laminar flow airfoil, so that will make the actuation trickier.

Anyway if any of you see some serious issues with the idea please let me know.

The flap portion of the video begins about 3 minutes in

And the next video:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2019