• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Choosing the right kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YV-PILOT

Hello everybody!
This is my second post in this forum.
I’m considering buying a kit. I have many questions about it.
Let’s start taking some facts into consideration:

-Construction must be simple and durable once it is finished since my town’s airport has not hangars, so it will be parked at GA ramp.

-Must be relatively easy to fly since I’m a low time pilot (350tt), I prefer tricycle gear, but the option of converting it to tailwheel after it is done would be ok since I’m willing to learn tailwheel down the road. Airplane needs to be capable of landings with tailwinds (10knots tailwind component)

- High speed cruise is not very important but would like something with 100kt or more if possible. However performance is a concern, my town is at 5000ft. above msl, temperature on a hot day could be about 30 degrees Celsius (86 Fahrenheit), and runway length is 5000 ft.

- In Venezuela aviation gas is not readily available at most airfields as in the U.S., its price has gone higher as well (1.6$/gallon, compared to 0.34$/gallon a couple of years ago) but the car-gas is very cheap compared to avgas at 0.19$/gallon (premium 95 octane unleaded). Hence an engine capable of taking car-gas is a must.

Based on my needs, I’ve taken into consideration a kit; please correct me if I’m wrong about my thoughts: Kitfox 7 with rotax 914 turbocharged, since turbo would help overcome performance loss at high altitudes and temperatures and can take car-gas. Although I don’t know how durable or easy to fly and built would be.

I know there are plenty of kits available out there besides the kitfox, so let me know if you happen to know some that would fit based on my needs.

Thank you very much for your interest in my topic; hope to hear from you soon
All comments and opinions are very welcome

Regards
YV-PILOT.

Back