Chilton DW1 plans?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

soarsimon

Hello all...,
I’ve been lurking on many aviation forums for years now and have just stumbled across the few here that show the construction of the Chilton. I can’t believe I wasn’t aware that you guys are still building them! I’ve been in love with this little bird since I saw a picture of one when I was a child (I’m 47).
Where does one find plans for it? I found a site offering free downloads but I kept getting an error message and wasn’t able to see anything. Anyone have any ideas?
I’ve just started a Minimax 1030 and am really enjoying it so I could see it being the “warm up” project for the DW1...!

simflyer

Hello all..., ... and have just stumbled across the few here that show the construction of the Chilton. ..... Where does one find plans for it?
Simon,
here could find Chilton & other plans: http://www.plans-for-everything.com/htr_aircraft_plans.html
Available source is actually probably only Roy Nerou, as written.
builders blog: http://chiltondw-1.blogspot.com/

Next very nice retro speedsters are Comper Swift (which is also built), Chester Jeep, Percival MewGull, Baby Bullet ...

Last edited:

Chilton

The drawings on the plans for everything site are PART of the set which Roy Nerou has redrawn, I have not checked for a while but when I built GJ Roy expected all builders to seek permission to build from Constance Ward, the widow of the designer before building an aircraft.

Whatever the current situation the only true source is Roy as he redrew the entire set from the remaining original drawings and measurments of the aircraft.

soarsimon

Yes, I’ve looked at the “plans for everything” site but it continues to crash.
I’d much prefer to go the accepted route of acquiring plans. It’s not that I really have the funds to throw around but I’d consider an approved plans set for this beautiful, classic plane a very worthwhile purchase!
I’ll get an email off to Mr Nerou this weekend.

simflyer

Yes, I’ve looked at the “plans for everything” site but it continues to crash. ... approved plans set for this beautiful, classic plane a very worthwhile purchase! ...
I don't know why is site "plans for everything" crashing for You - I opened Chilton file right now from there. I agree, that it is source only for studying and if want to build, need to buy "licensed" plans from Mr. Nerou.

What engine do You plan to use ?

Did You looked on retro speedsters as Comper Swift, Chester Jeep, Percival MewGull, Baby Bullet ... ??

soarsimon

Simflyer,

Yes, when I tried the site on my laptop it opened just fine. It seems it didn’t like my iPhone.
As for engines, I’m not sure. I just read a bit about the Aeromomentum engines, their 85hp 3 cylinder sounds promising. Not sure if it’s too heavy at 138lbs but having a FADEC is attractive. May be far too much engine anyway at 85 horses. Too bad they don’t have a 60...
I’m just getting started on researching all of this anyway. I’ll be building my minimax for at least the near future.

jm.gray

Hello all...,
I’ve been lurking on many aviation forums for years now and have just stumbled across the few here that show the construction of the Chilton. I can’t believe I wasn’t aware that you guys are still building them! I’ve been in love with this little bird since I saw a picture of one when I was a child (I’m 47).
Where does one find plans for it? I found a site offering free downloads but I kept getting an error message and wasn’t able to see anything. Anyone have any ideas?
I’ve just started a Minimax 1030 and am really enjoying it so I could see it being the “warm up” project for the DW1...!
Just have a lot at this one - which is for sale! Please note my email address is now we310g@gmail.com
John

Attachments

n45bm

That VW powered one makes sense. However, it would look much better with an inline engine IMHO. One thing I'd like to know is the cockpit size. How wide, how much leg room and how heavy a pilot? I'm 5'-7" and about 170 pounds, so that shouldn't be a problem, right?

Chilton

At your size the Chilton will fit perfectly! I am 5-8 and about 160 pounds, plenty wide enough and long enough for me.

The inline engine looks great, but I am watching Pete Plumb's work with the O-100, may well swithc out the Lycoming for the O-100 once it is ready.

Chilton

Sorry TT but at 225 pounds you would probably be a bit big! 6'5" probably wouldnt fit either!

There is at least 1 sparrowhawk flying again so someone must have drawings.....

jm.gray

That VW powered one makes sense. However, it would look much better with an inline engine IMHO. One thing I'd like to know is the cockpit size. How wide, how much leg room and how heavy a pilot? I'm 5'-7" and about 170 pounds, so that shouldn't be a problem, right?
The cockpit width is 24 inches. The leg room is quite sufficient for a 6ft pilot and your weight is ideal, the top weight being about 200 pounds.