• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

carbon foam wing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miles Heiner

Wing area 50 ft^2
Span 28ft
Gross weight: 500#
Airfoil 18% thick
Taper ratio : .7

Does anybody have any input regarding the vaibility of a wing with the following;

Removable, solid foam core, sandwiched with 3 ply carbon fiber @45 deg for the skins, substantial root and tip ribs, c-channel aft spar, full span flaperons. Im currently planning to use pre cured(on glass for surface quality) pre-preg carbon for skins. This ends up at .025"ish. 3 plies @45 will bend pretty well so I should just be able to bond it up to the cores and spars and put it under vacuum, with possibly some concessions to deal with the tight L.E. bend radius. I am some time out on this but am trying to wrap my head around the wing. Ultimately the main thing causing me to divert attention is educating myself on the airfoil. I want to design my own but this needs a good investment in time to do properly. The one constraint is that the main spar is already made and so I'm locked into a 18% thick airfoil. I am interested in feedback on the general construction techniques in terms of weight, manufacturability, durability and areodynamic effectiveness. Thanks for all your input, it helps me an incredible amount to be able to learn from others about this very complex set of skills. Rip it apart.

Last edited:
Back